Thread: Choosing a nursing school

Choosing a nursing school

I'm getting ready to begin a nursing program but am pondering if certain schools are better suited for nursing training with regards to pursing a career with Doctors Without Borders or similar medical outreach programs. Can anyone shed their opinions on this? I realize that getting remote care experience would be more valuable for field nursing than say working in a large, metropolitan hospital. But is it really that important? Should I just apply to my home school, finish my studies and then acquire the relative experience I'd need to travel abroad? Am I making any sense?

Member Extraordinaire

Re: Choosing a nursing school

Check the schools NCLEX pass rate. Also where the credits for that school might transfer to if you want to persue furter degrees. If you want something like DOctors without borders, Peace Corps etc check to see what qulifications they require then work towards those qualifications.

Re: Choosing a nursing school

Welcome to the forums.

First of all.

"doctors without borders" and similar programs don't "hire" you, pay a salary or give you a job. They are chiefly volunteer organizations that you contribute your time, skills to.

The best training for that type of work environment, working in field hospitals for the red cross, military, pre-hospital or disaster response would be a basic nursing education.

You can find voluteer organizations that look for nurses at http://www.nursefriendly.com/volunteer

After graduation (RN programs will open many more career options than an LPN program) you may want to focus on Medical Surgical, ER or Critical Care to develop and hone your skills. Once you're comfortable there you could consider flight nursing, or other field-type enviroments.

The organizations chiefly want the basic skills you'll develop working in a hospital or even in other environments.

Wish you luck!

Andrew Lopez, RN
    http://www.4nursing.com