Thread: Suspended w/o pay!!! HELP PLEASE!

Suspended w/o pay!!! HELP PLEASE!

My nursing license are on probation until 4/08 d/t a conflict with a past employer. My current DON sends monthly reports to the WVBON. I am also licensed as an RN in NC. Well, NC decided to also put my license on probation while they are on prob in WV where I live and work. Okay - NC sent an evaluation form that needed me to fill out part and my DON to fill out the remainder. I filled it out, attached a stamped addressed envelope and put a note with it for my DON to please sign and drop in mail. I left this in the box on her door because she was out at the time. Well - today I received a call from my DON advising me that she received a call the other day from the NCBON confirming the evaluation to which she told them she had never seen nor signed! And due to this I am suspended without pay until further notice while the NCBON contacts the WVBON and pending their investigation as to my outcome!!!!! What should I do???? I'm a single parent with no other income and just getting by the way it is. Life really bites. I just went thru a nasty divorce after 18 years and I didn't want a divorce .. he filed, fought to get my 12 yr old, dealing with the repercusions of my RN license on probation and now this. PLEASE SOMEONE HELP BECAUSE I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO.

Re: Suspended w/o pay!!! HELP PLEASE!

If I'm following you correctly, you are implying that someone forged the eval that the DON was supposed to complete. If that's the case, have the DON contact the board, explain the situation and request a temporary reinstatement until this can be sorted out. If the DON is not willing to do that then that should tell you something.

Member Extraordinaire

In the meantime, you can look into filing for unemployment compensation- it won't be as much as you would normally make, but at least it's something....

Thank you. I wasn't aware that you could get unemployment if you are suspended without pay but I will check. As for my DON, she is the one that suspended me without pay and is not willing to talk to the board at this point. My question to her was "do you think I would be so stupid as to sign your name when I have done everything asked of me and only have 6 months of probation left????!! She had no comment which spoke volumes to me. I sent a letter to the state board today explaining the situation and asking what I should do because Carol Walker at NCBON informed me that she would contact WVBON concerning this situation. My ex-husband asked me if that was the wise thing to do or should I have waited to see if they contacted me .. well, I feel that I need to let them know right up front otherwise it could reflect badly on me. I feel like I am being accused of forging my boss's signature which I have no reason to - she already fills out my paperwork for the WVBON while I am on probation. I know the smart thing to do would be get a lawyer and let them handle it however due to having no money and now no income that is out of the question because everyone wants money up front. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Does the nursing department have by-laws regarding the procedure for suspension? Were the proper steps taken and will you be afforded an opportunity to defend yourself? I am a nurse attorney in PA and I know if someone called me with this problem here I would try to help. You may be able to find a nurse attorney in WV who would be willing to help you for free. You would be surprised. I would check on line and in the yellow pages for any Plaintiff's attorneys who are also nurses. Good luck.

Member Extraordinaire

Whether or not you'll be eligible for unemployment will depend on why you were suspended. If you were suspended as discipline for something you did wrong, you might not be eligible- check with your local unemployment office and they will let you know if you are eligible.

The crazy thing is that I didn't do anything wrong!!! Because my DON denies having seen the evaluation form and the NCBON has one with her (signature?) I have been suspended without pay pending investigation outcome. In other words I'm being punished for no reason other than the evaluation was for me.