Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: two career direction questions for an almost RN

two career direction questions for an almost RN

I am going to finish my ADN in about a month, why should I go on to get my BSN or MSN and if I should go on would it be better to go BSN to MSN or ADN to MSN?

All of my instructors tell me that I need to get my MSN but I feel that I would be giving up the one thing I really love, which is spending time with my patients and their families. I don't want to manage and I feel like as a nurse practitioner working in an office, I would be giving up time with my patients. Any thoughts on this? These are two questions I have really had to contemplate, any information would be appreciated.

Re: two career direction questions for an almost RN

i hear you...im also feeling what you are feeling... first of all i dnt wanna work in an office, im more of a hands on type of guy if you will but i was also wondering , if ever i had my BSN or Masters would i still be able to work with patients i mean literally work with patiens or would i be stuck in an office?

Member Extraordinaire

Most nurses with their BSN work with patients just the same as ADN nurses do- I have my BSN, and I work as a staff nurse- 100% patient contact, every day. Now, I could choose to go into management if I wanted, but most BSN nurses aren't in management. With your master's, you can still work with patients, and not sit at a desk. If you are a nurse practitioner, nurse midwife, or nurse anesthetist, most of your time will be spent in contact with patients.

hmmm maybe i should just pursue the masters then since i can still work with patients..its really nice to hear that i can.

I am in the process of getting my ducks in a row so that I can pursue my Masters...I would like to teach nursing-I want to be the type of instructor that I rarely saw in school, the kind demonstrating compassion to her STUDENTS and patients while teaching the needed skills. I have seen instructors do some unthinkable, horrid things to students.
    I think they forget that these students are also potential psych patients.
    You can do direct patient care in most avenues of nursing. Good luck with your goals!
    :cool:

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Peekaboo, if you want to teach BSN students, I believe a Doctorate is required. For ADN's and/or LPN's, Master's is fine.

Gotta give you guys credit....I do NOT want to take Stats, so a BSN is as far as I go.

An already crazy 'Cat'

Peekaboo,

Good for you. The instructors in my RN program were absolutely evil.

Yes, I am aware of the requirements, my sister is an instructor. (but not an evil one)
    I have already taken statistics. It ain't fun, but it was tolerable.
    She had some of the worst Instructors when she went back to school for advanced care nursing.

The only reason to go forward and get a Masters Degree in Nursing would be to become a Nurse Anesthetist. (for me that is). Why? Because for as much schooling as you go through, you don't get that much more in pay. It may look good on paper, but do you get the pay? Now a CRNA will make about twice or more than what a BSN makes.
    The hoop I don't want to jump through is doing ICU for a year or more. I like the ER just fine and I'm good at it. And I think I could compete with some of those ICU nurses in RNA school.

I've done all the BS in nursing school already... why do it again?
    Legal nurse consulting can pay well if you're good at it and get enough clients.

Wink Re: two career direction questions for an almost RN

I wouldn't say that CRNA is the ONLY reason to get more schooling.
    It is a good reason, to be sure, but it doesn't appeal to everyone.
    To each his/her own.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast