Thread: New Active duty RN at 45?

New Active duty RN at 45?

Anyone,

I am considering a career as an RN with the military. At age 45 I know there are some restrictions with the Navy and AF regarding possible retirement, but the Army's age cut off is higher.

I am asking anyone who is willing to share their story about what life is really like as a active duty RN. I meet with the recruiter next week, but know I cannot believe much of what he will say.

I have a MSN and a background in administration, occ health, psyche, but no recent clinical skills.

Please tell me what to expect, what is daily life like and what are the best and worse things. What advice would you offer?

Thank you so much.

KateeLynn

Re: New Active duty RN at 45?

Lose your sense of humor and keep your shirts stiff. I was in the military for eight years and didn't get a long well because I found humor in just about everything. There's more but this is what comes to my mind at the moment.

Exclamation Re: New Active duty RN at 45?

Quote Originally Posted by vickiroberts View Post
    Lose your sense of humor and keep your shirts stiff. I was in the military for eight years and didn't get a long well because I found humor in just about everything. There's more but this is what comes to my mind at the moment.
    IMHO, that is terrible advice.

If, I did not have a sense of humor during this 15 month deployment I'd go nuts!
    Cary James Barrett, RN, BSN

Re: New Active duty RN at 45?

GOOD LUCK.....

WHAT has happened to nurse recruiting? No wonder there is such a NEED for military nurses-- the recruiters are spending so much time kissing a** of the New Grads who have NO idea what they are doing, rather than take a few extra steps to get a prior military EXPERIENCED RN back into AD....
    I have spent OVER a year to try and get ANY Recruiter to help me get back to AD: I am an experienced ER nurse as well--have a MSN, and am NOW paying for my own Periop nurse program.... I have been a nurse for 9 years and have deployed as well: got off of AD in 04. This entire year has been like pulling teeth to try and get someone to get off their a** and get my packet rolling---- but if I were an INEXPERIENCED GN still wet behind the ears and have no clue how to even start an IV or do a dosage calculation without killing a patient--- boy they would be all over me I guess....

I have emailed, called, texted and finally got a nurse recruiter from San Antonio to get back with me, but now I can't even get him to email back. He says since I have "not worked the floor" in a year ( I took this year off to start my Doctrine and spend time with my kids for God sake..) that I will probably have to go back to bedside nursing "for a while" before I am qualified??? HA!!!!! I was a Director for Emergency/Trauma Reional Level III in Houston and I'm not "qualified" for Amry nursing?!!!! I'm certified in BLS, ACLS, TNCC, ENPC, NRP, and credenialed in FHM and Moderate Sedation for adults and peds..... Whatever.

ANYWAY--- THIS is where the military NC is at now, and it's sad that there (from what I HEAR) is such a shortage and that our troops (and fellow experienced nurses working 5-6 shifts a WEEK--- that was what I worked as a Navy NC ) are going through because I'm not , um... "qualified".

Let's hear it for the military nc>>>>