Thread: New company

New company

Hi, I have been a traveler for three years now and have FINALLY found a company that I trust and really enjoy working for. The only problem is that they are a new company and don't have the contracts that I want in San Diego. Does anyone have any idea on how to get a new contract with a hospital? Should I go into a hospital myself and try to get a contract? And who would I make an appointment with? The CNO, staffing office or Human resources? Thank you!

Member Extraordinaire

Re: New company

Call the nurse manager of the unit you're interested in working on, and ask if they have any needs for travelers. If the do, ask who at their facility you can have your recruiter contact to set things up.

I am currently on assignment in San Diego- where were you working, and where are you interested in working in San Diego?

Hi! Thanks for the response. I am in Brawley (about 2 hours east) and just want to be closer to SD. Any tips on which hospitals to go to and which ones to avoid?

PS- My assignment is up in 3 weeks so I am getting a little nervous. I called 6 hospitals yesterday and was just able to leave voicemails....

Member Extraordinaire

I am in the ER at Kaiser in San Diego- it's not bad. I haven't worked anywhere else in SD, so I don't know a lot about what the other hospitals are like, but try to stay away from National City- it's just not a nice part of SD......

Uhh.. frustrating day. I called just about EVERY hospital in SD and they said that they weren't accepting contracts for new companies right now. Getting a little nervous....

Member Extraordinaire

I had a hard time finding an assignment in SD- there's just not a whole lot of need for travelers in SD right now.....
    What specialty do you work in?
    Did you try Balboa Navy Hospital?

You would have much more success giving your recruiter the names of the hospitals and letting their marketing rep make the calls. Let them know you expect a referral bonus if they get the contract, because most agencies pay AT LEAST $250 for new facility referrals when they get the contracts.
    Good Luck!

Call Donna Kemp at Sharp Memorial. Her number is 858-499-5242 and email is donna.kemp@sharp.com. She hires all the travelers there and used to be a traveler herself. I think she'll work with you. I was just hired there. I decided against the job I originally applied for since they did many surgeries I was unfamiliar with but she found another place for me!

What is the name of the company you are with?