Thread: Nursing on a cruise ship?

Cool Nursing on a cruise ship?

Can anyone tell me if they ever had an RN position on a cruise ship? What are the pros (besides the obvious), cons and what ever else you can share? What are the payrates, best company, etc... Thinking about applying, fed up with the hospital scene, currently on travel assignment.

Thanks

Member Extraordinaire

Re: Nursing on a cruise ship?

I haven't been a nurse on a cruise ship but was sick on a ship so talked to the nurse lots. I was on a cruise with coworkers when I got sick so we probably gave the poor nurse business (I know my friend was giving out the nurse secret signal meaning you better take care of our friend) She told us her pay wasn't that great (teens) there were 2 nurses and the ships doctor. One of the nurses was always on call. I got sick late at night so she had to meet us, do her assessment then call the doctor...he gave orders which we didn't like then I went back to my cabin, she called an hour later and I'd only gotten worse so met us again, called the doc again and got him to come down, got an IV and pain med then sent back to the room then in the end got taken off the ship by ambulance and spent 3 weeks in the hospital in FLA. Thank goodness it was our last night and on the way home.
    She was a foreign lady (as were most of the staff on board), she had been ICU (someplace) and said you had to have ICU experience. In a nutshell she said it's not all that.