Thread: addiction awareness month

addiction awareness month

I am doing an article for the local paper that speaks to the sad fact that this disease kills more people then all the other diseases out there. Because this whole topic is encompassed with guilt, shame and public scrutiny it contiues to manifest the "we must hide" element of things. If we could all stand up one day, and say this is the face of addiction, but most importantly this is the face of recovery from addiction-how empowering would that be!! We used to wisper things like cancer or depression like it was the worst label to have, and look how far that acceptance and knowledge in society has changed? where do we start, how do we recover from the shame and guilt that not only our nursing community shuns us with, but what about society as a whole. Please give me your thoughts on this, for more input on a group conscience level. thanks!!! xoxojl

Re: addiction awareness month

I think the reason it kills more people than any other is because people seek the least amount of treatment for it. The "what will people think" fear causes so many of us to choose to continue to use and live in hell because we fear the alternative..people will know we are sick. If I had cancer or any other disease I wouldn't feel like it is not a disease a nurse should have..but with addiction society holds us to a higher standard. They seem to forget that Drs. and nurses are just normal everyday people wearing scrubs and a labcoat. If a man with a long history of alcohol abuse chooses to get treatment for his disease he is looked upon as heroic..but just the opposite is true of us. We are considered heroic by some UNTIL we seek treatment for our disease. Then we lost, troubled souls who have thrown away their lives. I wish society could also see me as a brave woman with a long history of drug and alcohol abuse heroicly seeking treatment for my disease before it kills me.
    lp

Re: addiction awareness month

Right on! I totally agree with you. Getting clean was easy, but staying clean-that is where the real work comes in. I am so proud of any of us that can rise above the horrible place we have been in our heads and in our soals. Thank you for your post, I want some more input people. Imagine if we could all stand up and show was the face of addiction really looks like, and the face of many courageous people who are just trying to get on with thier lives one day at a time. I love being clean! I just hate feeling like we all have to be unfortunately annonymous xoxo jl