Thread: Need to vent

Need to vent

I don't know where else to put this thread, and I think I just need to get out some anxiety to those that have been through this and would understand.

My college's nursing program is very competitive. As of Dec's pre-admission conference there were 180 interested in applying for Fall 08 nursing program. That is not inclusive of the February's conference attendees. For Fall of 08, they are only accepting 40!!!

Deadlines for applications was march 1. Mine was in in Dec. I'm nervous, scared and the waiting is killing me and its only been 2 weeks. I feel so helpless that my future lies in the balance of the Nursing Admission Committee. Things are so secretive, they don't tell us when we find out, when they meet, who is on the committee........nothing.

My AP professor says i have nothing to worry about. I have a 27 ACT and a 4.0 but I'm still worried as I'm lacking credits, even though I will have them completed by May, they don't look at this semester.

OK, I feel better..........thanks for listening. Am I crazy or did everyone have this anxiety? Is it this competitive everywhere?

Stacey

Re: Need to vent

Your not crazy. I felt the same way. I was actually switching majors to apply to the very limited number of openings. I called the nursing dept. secretary and said I just wanted to be sure my application had been recv'd..it gives you an opportunity to let them hear your name out loud. I did get in..not sure if calling helped at all but it certainly didn't hurt. Good Luck!

Don't feel bad. It could be alot worse. Back when I was going to nursing school for my initial RN licensure(Motlow State Community College, TN), there were 530 applicants for 30 spots.

Eligibility for the program rested upon 3 factors:

1. Completion of Anatomy & Physiology I and II with a grade of "C" or higher

2. HESI Score of 75% or higher

3. Your Fall GpA.

They had a special way to calculate your GPA and your HESI, such as (GPA / 4 x .75) and (Hesi Score x .75) or something along those lines. They would then add the two together giving you your overall points. The top 30 scores got the 30 slots, and the next 30 names became the alternative list. So, having my paramedic license played no part in my admission, nor did my prior experience in medicine. It was all up to scores.

Luckily, yours truly managed a 3.9 GpA and a HESI of 91%, or else my gluteus maximus would never have gotten in.

Oh yeah, if you do get in. Be sure not to drop Brunner & Suddarth's Textbook of Med/Surg nursing on your foot like I did. That book REALLY hurts!
    Flight/Trauma Nurse
    RN, B.S.N., CCRN, ccNREMT-P, FP-C,
    B.S. NeuroScience, M.S.N.(ACNP/FNP) Student
    ACLS, PALS, NRP, PHTLS, and all the other $2 titles

When I initially applied for the RN program, the waiting period was 6 years. I ended up doing and LVN. Worked 9 years as LVN, then did and atriculated to RN.