Thread: Male nurses needed

Male nurses needed

Hello, I'm a nursing student and I have to write a paper on something that I want to know. I wanted to know why there are so few male nurses. If possible, can people reply to these few questions. thank you very much.

1. How long have you been a nurse?
    2. When did you start your nursing studes?
    3. Where you ever ridiculed for being a nurse and how?
    4. Are you happy with your career choice and what other careers have you tried?
    5. What are the advantages and disadvantages to being a male nurse?
    6. How do male and female patients act differently around you?

Any othe stories or comments will be greatly appreciated.

Re: Male nurses needed

Hello,

#1. Got graduated/licensed in 1997.

#2. 1995, 1 year Accelerated program for students with existing Bachelor degrees. Started pre-reqs in 1995, then nursing curriculum in 1996.

#3. I'm often asked if I'm gay, why I didn't go to medical school instead, how can I stand handling bodily fluids and excrement all day long.

#4. Very happy. The work is fulfilling, will always have a job, can go home every day knowing I've made a difference. Worked as a lab tech in hospital previously.

#5. Advantages include I don't intimidate easy, can handle the physical portions of the job relatively easily, not afraid to advocate for my patients when doctors or family members are acting like idiots. Men tend to advance further faster in nursing up the career ladder.

Disadvantages, there is a definite Gender Bias against men in nursing. There are some "seasoned" nurses who don't believe men should be in nursing so they tend to ride them harder in nursing school and out in the field.

This article illustrates the sentiment clearly:

Male Gender Bias - Entrance to No Mans Land:"Are you a male and thinking about entering the world of nursing? Have you ever wondered why they're so few men in nursing? If you are young, single and available then you have a chance in nursing. If you're an older, married or unavailable male then you really need to reconsider your options before entering nursing."
    http://www.epinions.com/srvc-review-...39E61A2D-prod2

6. For the most part there is no difference. In some guys, they look at you strangely when they find out you're a nurse. When I introduce myself I usually throw in a comment about my wife and daughter and that tends to put them at ease.

Some older women are hesitant about being examined by a male, I usually ask another person to come in with me while I'm doing this.

You can find some other interesting points of view here:
    Nurses Views of the Nursing Profession
    http://www.nursefriendly.com/views

Hope that helps.

Andrew Lopez, RN
    http://www.4nursing.com

1. How long have you been a nurse?
    I am just starting. I have been through the Red Cross Nurse Aid training, did clinicals in a long term facility. I then worked in a Psych group home with a few total care patients and a few behavioral patients. I have recently been working and studying at a large hospital as a nurse aid.

2. When did you start your nursing studes?
    I actually started because my wife is also in the field, I related her work experiences to my past law enforcement experiences, almost the same thing - you deal with people in need of help.

3. Where you ever ridiculed for being a nurse and how?
    I guess a few inital reaction from male friends were "Oh gross! you wipe asses?", I explain that if they were in a hospital and needed someone to help them go to the bathroom, they'd hope that a professional compassionate person would be there to help them. The thought I keep in my head is this - One day, we will all be that person, in pain, in need of help, in need of a strong, compassionate person at the moment death comes.

4. Are you happy with your career choice and what other careers have you tried?
    I am happy. My prior career was catching criminals and being a judge/jury/excutioner (as you may have to choose to pull your gun and drop the hammer on someone in a split second). I realize that the main thing I enjoyed about my job was helping people, not catching scumbags(over and over). You can find a job doing what you like best.

5. What are the advantages and disadvantages to being a male nurse?
    Advantage: you get cool vibes from the girls. Guys are impressed also. I am required to move patients a lot, so having strong upperbody helps. With combative patients, they call me, so I get some exciting patients.
    Disadvantage: Some female staff think this is a female only position, and I am treated accordingly. These people are few.

1. RN 23 years
    2. 1979
    3. VERY rarely, 1 guy in school- but he was also unstable generally and never finished his 3rd semester of school (too stressful). Most people just go "oh (pause) ok". and a few say Cool!
    4. Generally satisfied. At the end of the day, nurses lack true power. Power to control our own practice and work environments. We have influence over the plan of care, but not true power. That has been a significant frustrator for me over the years. That said- I am gainfully employed, full time, full benefits, for 23 years. My schedule was flexible enough I got to trade off child care duties with my wife (also an RN) and for many years we were the ones at home with the kids- not some stranger. I always have and always will hate night shifts (the fleas come with the dog here) but I have learned to not stress over everyother holiday.
    5. I dont get yelled at by a male doctor. I play the male "buddy" card from time to time to get my way. I will never be "one of the girls". My female counterparts share closer relationships at work and outside work than I do with them. I think the "old school" bias against men in nursing in nursing academia and administration is softening, I know I helped educate my nursing executive some about men in general and men in nursing- and she learns from her mistakes.
    6. Hard to tell, since I rarely see them interact with females when I am assigned to them.

Okay, it's probably too late to be answering your questions for your paper anyway so I won't bother numbering them.

Anyway, I feel for my brothers who have experienced gender bias in Nursing as well as lack of influence/power.

I guess I've been blessed all this time because my experience have been the opposite. I must say that I get more support when I tell people I'm a nurse. Instead of the "oh...really?" response, I am more greeted with the "WOW! REALLY!" and they ask me more about it. It's a great ice-breaker. But, I guess part of it is because I don't really look the part. My body type is more in the lines of a linebacker so they get really surprised at what I do for a living. Oh well.

As far as the lack of influence or power, I did feel like a glorified waiter at times while I worked at the hospital--that's why I left. One year as a staff nurse in the float pool convinced me that this isn't the environment for me. I am blessed to be able to work in a much more slower paced and less stressful environment and still function as a nurse. And yes, I have a lot more autonomy and people respect what I do. The decisions I make do make a difference. I traded my scrubs and gloves in for a pen and a desk job. The stroke of that pen however makes all the difference in my patient's lives. Downside is, I probably lost a lot of my bedside skills. I've been at this for 6 years.

-Joel

1) I have been a nurse since 1993.
    2) I began my nursing studies in 1991.
    3) Never experienced any ridicule problems on this end.
    4) I am very happy with my career choice. This degree has opened many opportunities for me. I was in retail management prior to becoming a nurse.
    5) Occasionally, I do see being a male as having somewhat of an advantage as far as the respect you get from some physicians.
    6) The only time I was treated differently by male/female patients was in nursing school when a patient asked for a female student during our OB rotation.