Thread: everything you never knew

everything you never knew

Hello everybody! This is my first time posting here, so forgive me if this has been asked a million times before. I have recently decided to enter the world of nursing after four years of majoring in an entirely different field (hehe...so is life). I start classes this fall (going for my BSN), and was wondering what "gems" of wisdom you could give me to help me prepare for what to expect-- things you wished you had known when you were first starting out. All suggetions are welcome, especially those that will help ease my "am I smart enough for this" fears since I'm already a wee-bit intimidated!

Thanks!

Member Extraordinaire

Re: everything you never knew

I didn't know what a foley cath was when I started and now put them in with my eyes closed.

Hello,

Are you starting your prerequisites, or actual nursing clinical courses?

Andrew Lopez, RN
    http://www.nursinga2z.com

Get into, or form a group of friends/classmates, that you can study with. Sometimes during nursing school (even in life) there are things that someone else will understand more fully and just "get it". In the case that something isn't sinking in during lecture or at clinicals, ask one of those members in your group. Remember though, be open minded to different techniques, and on test questions, don't think about the way you saw it done in the hospital during clinicals, think perfect textbook world.

Understanding the concepts of what you're learning are more important than memorizing them. Seriously.

Remember, you're in for some serious work. So, STAY FOCUSED.

removing information

Blessed, I agree with you! Learn to work with others now, because you will be working as a team in the field. Be willing to support others and they will support you. Rely on your instinct, and never take shortcuts.

Be absolutely sure Nursing is a field you want to go into. talk to other nurses, talk to nursing students, review the websites online.

An excellent resource on the field is Discover Nursing by Johnson & Johnson:
    "The job outlook is tough these days, but one job is in high demand– nursing. Did you know that well paying jobs for Registered Nurses are available in almost every city in America? But it's not just the job market that makes nursing a good career choice. As a nurse, you have the opportunity to save and improve lives, to teach people how to achieve better health, to advocate for patients to make sure they have the best health care, every day. Learn more about a career in nursing."
    http://discovernursing.com/

Read nursing perspectives on whether they are recommending nursing these days.
    http://www.nursefriendly.com/views

Do yourself a favor and be an informed consumer before you start a program.

Andrew Lopez, RN
    http://www.4nursing.com

When taking a test be sure to answer "the test question". don't read too much into it, or over think it.

Remember, school gives you the book knowledge to begin your career, but I found clinical time was very "task" focused - not at all what real life as a nurse is all about. You will learn on the job. Give yourself credit for what you know. Learn to be flexible and also learn to prioritize and re-prioritize constantly. Be open to learning from everyone, including CNA's and ancillary staff. Don't ever be afraid or ashamed to say "I don't know." Look it up and/or find someone with the answer. LISTEN to your patients. When a patient says "I've never seen this blue pill before, what is it?" DING, DING - go check your med order!! You may have been close to making an error. If a patient says "I think I'm going to die." WATCH THEM, they are often correct. BE SURE this is what you want to do. It is not an easy career. Always be gentle, with your patients and yourself. Good Luck!!