Thread: First DUI

First DUI

Hello...I am a 33 year old second degree seeking nursing student in the Midwest. I have 3 classes left before I obtain my B.S.N. However, I was arrested this past March for a DUI an now am in a PANIC! My attorney is trying to have the case dismissed (although I'm not sure on what grounds) and said, at the most I will be eligible for a Title XII which basically means after a year, the offense will be removed from my record. My questions are: what is the likelihood I will be allowed to finish the 3 classes? I am sure my school has a zero tolerance policy on this.

In addition, if I do receive the Title XII, after a year, do I have to put on my applications that I have been arrested? I am so depressed over this situation and I do realize that I should be punished. However, I feel that I shouldn't have to be punished for the rest of my life for a Major mistake I committed one night. I don't even drink but perhaps twice a year! Never again!
    Thank you for ANY advice you can give me!

Re: First DUI

I don't know how to answer this; but I've always found that the best place to go to answer questions is to the source of the answers.

In other words: 1. Check with the school to find out their rules about this. 2. Check with the BON for their rules and regulations about DUIs. 3. My son found out the hard way that in this state although something is removed from the public record; it isn't removed from his entire record and he lost a job with a high-powered company because he "lied" on his job application by not including a misdemeanor on his application. (He had checked the public records, the company paid for a thorough background search on him.)

What were the circumstances involved in the DUI; was there an accident? What made you drink and drive? These are some of the questions that you have to answer for yourself and in the future. Think about these answers; and be honest with yourself. Beating yourself up and making yourself sick with worry and anxiety won't help; but being honest with how this happened and what you do in the future will help.