Thread: Hello Everyone New Student Nurse Here!

Hello Everyone New Student Nurse Here!

Hi Everybody,

I just found this forum as a classmate of mine told me about a male student nurse forum I figured there must be a general student nurse forum too! (I'm a laaaady)

Anyway, just wanted to say hi all, I just finished my first year in a 2 year ASN program, successfully made it through my first 16 weeks of clinical rotations and my first theory/lecture course in nursing. Holy crow! Where did my life go?? (I am a 29 year old returning student, was formerly a vet tech for 4 years).

Tough stuff, but I am really happy to say that I did well and I loved it, and can't wait to keep going! (though I am VERY tired and ready for a restful summer with only an Ethics class!)

Just wondering if anyone else has recently finished thier first clinicals and how that went for you, I'm interested to see how others' first clinical rotations went, and what sort of paper work you all had to do and so on.

Kim

Re: Hello Everyone New Student Nurse Here!

Hello Kimmy, just wanted to say welcome to the forum! I remember my first semester of clinicals, it was so horrible....i was so tired all the time, but it was obviously well worth it. We had to do so much paperwork....after the first semester the paperwork got a lot lighter, and it was obviously a lot easier since we all better understood what we were doing. I only have two semesters left, YAY. I took the summer off to spend time with my children and just relax a little (no nursing classes are offered at my school this summer that i could take anyway, lol), but i am already itching to get back to classes in the fall. Congrats on getting through your first clinical rotation!

Hi Kim, nice to see you here. Are a lot of folks here who have survived their first year. Clinicals seemed a little easier than first semester. I guess we were really green then LOL. But as time went on, we all got a little more familiar with what was going on. We have lost 10 students since last aug. and just glad to still be there. Unlike Jamie, we have no off time this summer. We have pharmacology and after one day of class, I can see it's going to be morwe work than i ever imagined. So good luck to you and Jamie, and to all the other survivors of the first year in nursing school.

Have A Great day And Be Safe

Jerry

My first year of the BSN program included only a small amount of clinical practice in the second semester. We worked 7:00am to 12:30pm every second thursday and friday for the last half of the semester in our local hospital. We did get more practice in the summer semester when we worked at a retirement home for three weeks. However short the clinicals were, I loved every minute of them and got to know some really great people. As for paper work, my first semester was soooooo packed with essays and reading that I thought I was going to go blind, and that was without first year english. The second semester was much more easy going. Anyway, I hope you are doing well with your courses and good luck to you and everyone else out there.

Hello my name is Alexia, im 23, have a 1yr old and im also married.Im starting my pre-requisites to join a nursing programme in august but i dont know what to expect as far as the studying and work.Can you please share some advice or what ever experiences you have or had. Will it be a strain on my family life or what......ive always wanted to do nursing from when i was a kid.

Hello New Student Here too!

Hi. I am Joe. I am in Colorado. I am 43 single. I have got about a year doing my pre-requisites at a community college north of Denver. I had to take A&P 1 over again to get on the list. I know when I get my RN and I am not doing a nursing I would like to teach A&P...I think I would do it a lot differently. This Oct, Nov, and Dec is when most nursing schools what an application. The ASN programs here is on a state wide waiting list you pick your top three. I am not holding my breath of getting on there. I am applying for some nursing schools with my unexpected lower gpa. Need to push a 4.0 for the next two sesmesters, I am thinking might be a little to late. I am going to do my best to get what I need done and have fun at it. I might get passed over. I will try to dazzle them with something else.
    I do not want to stuck this time next year thinking what I am going to do for a school. If there is some that his post jumps out too I would love to hear from you