Thread: Questions before starting school

Questions before starting school

I have recently decided that I would ultimately like to become a travel nurse. Are there travel nursing jobs out there for LPNs, or do you need to be an RN? Does it make sense to get an LPN first and then go on to an RN if I decide that is what I want? Also, I already have a Bachelor's degree, but I didn't really care about school then and ended up with a GPA of only 2.75. Does anyone know of any nursing schools out there that would accept me to an accelerated RN program?

Re: Questions before starting school

Quote Originally Posted by syirka View Post
    I have recently decided that I would ultimately like to become a travel nurse. Are there travel nursing jobs out there for LPNs, or do you need to be an RN? Does it make sense to get an LPN first and then go on to an RN if I decide that is what I want? Also, I already have a Bachelor's degree, but I didn't really care about school then and ended up with a GPA of only 2.75. Does anyone know of any nursing schools out there that would accept me to an accelerated RN program?

It would probably depend on how well you did on any science courses. Most second degree programs I looked at, you had to have all your non-nursing science courses completed before entering.

Good Luck!
    Barry Manilow didn't write I Write The Songs. Bruce Johnston did.

I agree with the last post. Every school differs in how they accept their nursing students. Some award points for work exp, grades, community service, while others will work on a first come first served basis. Regardless, you may have to bump up your GPA, because 3.0 is about as low as they go. I would talk to your college advisor where you rec'd your Bach. degree. They may be able to come up with some alternative/creative ideas.
    From experience with working with nurses that have gone through an acc. program, I have heard it's VERY difficult and intense. I've also had them say that they feel less prepared to begin working as an RN, because they don't get the clinical time they need.
    Good luck with what ever you choose. Regardless of how long it takes, know that the average age of nursing students is not 20. Many of the best nurses are those that have a clue about life and themselves before they take on the profession as a nurse.

Oh, LPN to RN is another great route, because you can gain exp and it really helps you through school. It can be beneficial as well, because you can earn $$ to put yourself through and not have to eat mac and cheese every night. I felt my LPN year was harder, because everything was a new concept. RN was difficult, but working as an LPN while going to school made everything click a little faster.