Thread: need some advice from travelers...Please

Question need some advice from travelers...Please

Hi I am new to this site. I am looking to travel by fall, and am overwhelmed with all the companies, smooth talkers etc. I've been talking to Auerus, Access and Nurse choice, with the exception of nurse choice (there isn't any reviews), I am finding more questions, and concerns with these companies. Is there anywhere I can go on the web, or can anyone steer me in the right direction to get not only a decent job ( I already work in hell, ER nurse ,Detroit can't get much hotter), but safe housing at a decent/fair wage? Any one with Favorite agency? I am looking for the travel experience more than the big bucks and working 60 hours a week. I'd appreciate the help. Thanks

Member Extraordinaire

Re: need some advice from travelers...Please

Welcome! I also work ER, and have been traveling now for over a year and a half. I have been with RN Network that whole time- I will be starting my 5th assignment with them on Monday. They have a good variety of assignments, pay well, have excellent benefits, and my housing has been great. My recruiter is awesome- I really trust him, and I think he has the mentality that HE is working for ME, instead of the other way around, and there's none of that smooth-talking "used car salesman" vibe from him- he's up front, and tells it like it is, which I appreciate. If you have any specific questions for me, or would like my recruiter's contact info, send me a PM.
    Amanda, RN, BSN
    Ex-Traveler Extraordinaire,
    Resident Trauma Queen

Hi - I'm in the same boat. Wanting desparately to travel and would love some tips. My nusing assocation buddy in Missouri gave me a good website with Top 10 Companies and quotes from nurses and believe me, I'm doing research too. Main point - get it in writing!

Highway Hypodermics: Where Travel Nurses Make A Difference, One Hospital At A Time

Please pass along any info.

I am a Family Nurse Practitioner and am just starting the learing process.

Good luck!

Mary

Several good companies come to mind. agostini, PHP, Talemed, on assignment, rn network. Dont use any of those you have already looked at, if your not happy with company or recruiter you can change anytime. Ask your recruiter how many nurses they handle and if they can be reached anytime. Always read fine print of contract and ask if there are any fees not listed on contract. Most important if it doesn't feel right or sounds to be good to be true, it usually is!

Thanks for the good information. I am sure that the more I look into this the more questions I'll have. I never thought this process would take so long, and there is so much paperwork. Is it better to take the housing stipend or to let them get you a place. If you get it yourself, where do you look? What about car rental if driving my own is too far? :33::confused: Thanks again.........Geez, if this was a sucking chest wound I'd know exactly what to do!

Tammy

Quote Originally Posted by nightnurse65 View Post
    Thanks for the good information. I am sure that the more I look into this the more questions I'll have. I never thought this process would take so long, and there is so much paperwork. Is it better to take the housing stipend or to let them get you a place. If you get it yourself, where do you look? What about car rental if driving my own is too far? :33::confused: Thanks again.........Geez, if this was a sucking chest wound I'd know exactly what to do!

Tammy
    Hi, Tammy,
    I always let the company get the place and the furniture. Especially if you have never been to the place you are traveling to. One company that offers Housing, flight and car is Travel Nurse Solutions. Nicole is my recruiter there and if I want to go far from home, I usually travel with them. Many of the other companies, such as RN Network, who I am with currently, will give you a rental car allowance toward a vehicle if you desire. But, it does cut into your pay rate.:33: TNS has fewer jobs available, RN network has lots. Rachel is a great recruiter there. If you sign up with either of them, Tell them Cheryl sent you.
    Thanks,
    Cheryl

I just started traveling in February and had the same issue as you before I began. What I did was find the company that offered what I needed personally and talked to a recruiter who was willing to make sure everything was in place and then went with that company. You will find negatives on every site about every travel company. Go with your instinct. The most important item is to find the right recruiter. A bad recruiter can make or break the experience. I am with American Mobile and have only small minor issues. Those issues were resolved to the best of everyones ability because of my recruiter. If you want to talk with her, her name is Kat and she is wonderful. Good luck and if I can help in anyway, let me know.

Gina

Another company that will arrange for the rental car, along with the turnkey housing is Onward Healthcare. I think that On Assignment does it also. I heard that Crystal Lovato (one of the best recruiters in the business) left National Healthcare Staffing and went to On Assignment.

Just keep in mind that everything you get from a company will come out of your pay. The major difference is on how much a company chooses to keep as their profit margin. Larger companies have more overhead expenses and usually tend to keep more for themselves. Small companies may pay the best but you tend to lose out on the perks (including insurance). Best to go with the medium size company & not one of the giant conglomerates who operate under many different company names.

First find out what the pay would be without insurance or other bennies & what the housing stipend for the area is. This way you can negotiate from there and know the value of what you are negotiating. And, always try to add on at least a dollar per hour from he initial quote & find out (if you are taking their housing) if you can get the difference between what the company pays for the housing and the stipend amount.
    :houra: