Thread: guidance from the staff during posting

guidance from the staff during posting

im a student nurse from sg, taking a 3 year diploma course and currently stepping into an end year grad to becoming a staff nurse.

i have been to the ward a couple of times and worked in real situations with real people. sometimes the experience is unpleasant to work with people who makes you think you're a useless soul and the nuisance freak in the ward.

what i want to bring out here is that RNs should work hand in hand to bring out the potentials in us. nevertheless we knw less practicals, but we definitely use the application of academic into clinical skills according to the hospital's protoccol if we are told so.

however, instead of helping the future generations of their own kind i find that the RNs are rather unfriendly and unwilling to assist us in procedural skills. of course im not asking to spoon-feed or guide us throughtout the shift but at least a feedback or an highlight can push us further into becoming a better nurse in future. because from there, we learn.

i hope that there are more focus and briefing to RNs about the presence of student nurses at a certain period of time and not to ignore us who are, as well, potentials to the dangers in the ward..

Re: guidance from the staff during posting

[ QUOTE ]
    im a student nurse from sg, taking a 3 year diploma course and currently stepping into an end year grad to becoming a staff nurse.

[/ QUOTE ]

I give up . . . where is "sg"?

O_S

[ QUOTE ]
    i have been to the ward a couple of times and worked in real situations with real people. sometimes the experience is unpleasant to work with people who makes you think you're a useless soul and the nuisance freak in the ward.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll be willing to bet if you approached the nurses aids or PCTs or whatever they are called now, and offered to help them with their patient assignment of setting up, feeding, bathing, changing the linen, and running on innumerable errands for 8 -10 patients. They wouldn't treat you that way. You have to start somewhere. The RNs would really notice that.

O_S

[ QUOTE ]
    syrina said:however, instead of helping the future generations of their own kind i find that the RNs are rather unfriendly and unwilling to assist us in procedural skills. of course im not asking to spoon-feed or guide us throughtout the shift but at least a feedback or an highlight can push us further into becoming a better nurse in future.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm curious where you are from as well, I can guess that sg is Singapore, but assumptions are dangersous.

Sounds like you're experiencing older nurses "eating their young." It is not "in your head" it is a real phenomena that is a major problem.

You can read more about it here:
    http://www.nursefriendly.com/young

This is one article by a student nurse.

Students' Corner: Nurses eating nurses: The caring profession which fails to nurture its own! Leanne Davey, Contemporary Nurse:"Experienced nurses who are already working in stressful conditions with continuous staff shortages and poor recognition of service see the student nurse sometimes as an extra hindrance to their already increasing workload. . . . It would seem then that student nurses as a result of this dissatisfaction are often devoured by some nurses instead of being encouraged and nurtured in their enthusiasm for nursing."
    http://www.contemporarynurse.com/13-2p192.htm

Hope that sheds a little light.

Andrew Lopez, RN
    http://www.nursefriendly.com

[ QUOTE ]
    "Experienced nurses who are already working in stressful conditions with continuous staff shortages and poor recognition of service see the student nurse sometimes as an extra hindrance to their already increasing workload. . . ."

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya know Andy, that is an interesting quote. I see that and feel that way myself all the time. I think it's the fault of nursing schools. Those poor kids can't give a tylenol without being hovered over by an instructor. They seem to expect that with us. We were talking about diploma schools on another board and agreed that they were pretty much finished. Kind of sad though. That third year was like an internship. They actually put them on the floors as staff team members for the year. Gives them time to season as it were. That's what makes syrina's comments unusual. She should have had all that leadership and clinical stuff pretty much in order by now.

O_S