Thread: Alaska bound

Smile Alaska bound

Anyone know which companies frequently place nurses in Alaska? Looking for ICU. My background is critical care trauma in California. Anyone worked at Providence in Anchorage?

Thanks so much!!

Re: Alaska bound

I currently work at providence (not in the capacity of ICU RN). I can tell you there is always a need for ICU RNs, especially in summer. You will see many different patients as we are not a large enough facility to house a SICU, MICU, CVICU, TICU, etc. That being said, as a RN you will deal with a plethora of patients who are very sick. Your ratios are 1:2 days and nights. Though if you are working nights you would only know it when you look at your watch. (summer is light almost all night long)
    The CNS for the ICU is an awesome giving person who is very supportive and patient. The MGR is no nonsense but she really takes care of the RNs that work for her. I have been told many travel RNs are asked back for multiple trips and really enjoy their assignment. I couldn't tell you about housing opportunities, though a friend (ARRT traveler) had awesome housing and rental car. Many opportunities, long daylight, apparently an experience that those in the lower 48 don't get. Best of luck, email if you have anymore questions.