Split your Side Laughing- You'll Never Look at a Student Nurse the Same! A Young Nursing Student in Big City, California Recounts Hilarious, Disgusting and Poignant Stories from her Time at the Bedside.

Check it out at
Student Nurse (click here)

Here is one particularly crazy post:

Hubris

Hubris: Overbearing pride or presumption; Arrogance

One day I was working with a nurse who frankly looked a bit shell-shocked. She must have been either very new or completely overwhelmed by her caseload.

At the beginning of a shift, I told her that I had done some charting on the patient's chart. Students are expected to chart, so this was very normal.

In a slightly snobby tone she said, "Well, you can chart for yourself on a separate piece of paper, but I will do the real charting."

The Student Nurse's ego takes many blows through the learning process. But to be denied grunt work because I was considered inadequate for even this job?

From a place of hurt and resentment swelled the Learner's greatest enemy: Hubris.

While locking her into my fiery glare I tore up my charting, slowly, piece by piece. I wanted her to know I was angry about this snub.

I put the chart back where it belonged and went on with my day.

Later in the day while I was reviewing that same chart for a medicine order, I realized that I had torn up not my carefully detailed notes, but the notes that she had spent all night charting.

How could I have been so stupid? I wanted to tape a "Kick Me" sign to my back. Maybe self-flagellation would avoid some of the reign of fire that would inevitably come from the nurse and (oh no) my instructor.

Want to know what happened to Student Nurse? Visit Student Nurse's Web Page (click here)