Thread: cross Gender caring ethic's

cross Gender caring ethic\'s

Some food for thought and drink's for mind.............
    1-Is it ethical for a male nurse to give bed shower to a female patient even if against her will?
    2-Is it ethical to let a male nurse to shower a female patient with bare hand's and her being stripped completely naked?
    3-Is it ethical for a superior to simply instruct any male nurse to give bed wash or shower to any female patient's at her will ?
    4-Is it ethical to to do all the above mentioned without even seeking approval from the female patient spouse or family member's?
    5-Is it ethical to wash the female patient's genital's even if against her will?
    6-is it ethical for some male nurse telling everyone that he had given a complete shower(with bare hand's) to a female patient?

Re: cross Gender caring ethic\'s

Dude . . . get hold of yourself. When you become a professional this sexual bull$hit doesn't matter. If your "superior" <whatever that is> hasn't already told you, the bed shower <bath> is a vehicle for assessment of skin integrity, color, signs of edema. Also human being-to-human being, it really makes the other person feel better after laying in their own sweat for 24 hours. Besides hasn't you're superior demonstrated that there are discreet ways to bathe members of the opposite sex? Here's some food for thought. Chill out!

O_S

Member Extraordinaire

I let whoever can reach their own genitals wash them themself. If you can reach it you can wash it...yea I know there are those SOB that it's too much activity, broken things, etc but if they are mentally able to request/refuse care they can probably do a few things themself and not have a problem with who does what for them. As OS says you're doing other things not just washing and if you don't look at other places how can you say they are ok.

Re: cross Gender caring ethic's

Trolling like this should be a bannable offense.

To answer the question, you can't bathe anyone male or female "against their will" if they are alert and oriented. It is as simple as that.

If a woman is alert and choses not to be bathed or cleaned up because I am a male....that is fine. She can lay there dirty and sweaty, I get paid the same amount either way. That may sound harsh, but it is true.

Also, noone gives a bath "bare handed", good lord man. That is a ridiculous question.

None of the original post was "Food for thought", it was merely the oral defecation of some ignorant toolbox.

Hi,

Just out of curiousity. Who is responsible for bathing patients? Is it RNs, LPN, or CNAs?

bathing a patient is the responsibility of the nurse she of he is assigned to. i, too believe i wash what they can't reach and they wash the other. i always ask my patient if they want me to help and as long as you approach this as just another part of your care not many mind. It really is a good chance to assess skin, etc. if yo umake a big deal out of the bathes they become uncomfortable and did you ever hear of using gloves for heaven sakes

Quote Originally Posted by 3eyes
    Some food for thought and drink's for mind.............
    1-Is it ethical for a male nurse to give bed shower to a female patient even if against her will?
    2-Is it ethical to let a male nurse to shower a female patient with bare hand's and her being stripped completely naked?
    3-Is it ethical for a superior to simply instruct any male nurse to give bed wash or shower to any female patient's at her will ?
    4-Is it ethical to to do all the above mentioned without even seeking approval from the female patient spouse or family member's?
    5-Is it ethical to wash the female patient's genital's even if against her will?
    6-is it ethical for some male nurse telling everyone that he had given a complete shower(with bare hand's) to a female patient?
    Remove the word male from each of these "ethical" inquiries, and then answer them. any difference in results?????

well, as a new nursing student, I cannot say that this issue hasn't bothered me.

I realize it would be due course in the process of performing my duties...but I cant help but wonder how I'll deal with it in the future.

Inevitably, there will be a few female patients that will be uncomfortable with having a male nurse give them a 'sponge bath'.

I'm sure its just one of those situations that one becomes comfortable with after a period of time, but I can assume it's something most ppl think about.

Not feeding the troll, just saying that as a male nursing student, I have wondered about this myself.

Umm, I think most people feel just a tad uncomfortable the first few times they invade someones privacy that's just a normal part of nursing education.

I could tell you of some of the angst when they tried to get a 16 year old female student to apply condom drainage.
    Or when a female student has to pull back a foreskin, to clean. And she has trouble getting a grip and gets beet red, so she grabs it really hard determined to suceed and the RN goes "ah luv not so ..." and the, supposedly catatonic, dementia patient suddenly comes alive screaming "Ahahahahahahrrrrrrrghhhhhhhhhhhhh" and waving his arms.

You are not expected to be perfect at everything from your first day of placement I don't think there is a single nursing student anywhere that has gotten through their first placement without at least one stuffup.

After you've done a few it's no big deal, be you male or female, be it showers or condoms.

Regards,
    KJ

I've never given a bath to anyone, male or female, against their will. In fact, I've never done anything to/for a patient against their will. Granted I am a fairly new nurse, but I hope never to do so.