Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sticky situation re: agency .....

Sticky situation re: agency .....

I work on a PRN basis for a local nurse staffing agency. Most of my jobs have been about 80 miles away 2-3 days a week. A new hospital opened here and my agency obtained a contract with it. I had obtained an application about 4 months ago and had it all ready to submit about 2 weeks ago. The day before I found out that my agency had a contract with them and asked if I wanted to do some of my prn there. I jumped at the opportunity. After working a few shifts I realized that this small hospital had the atmosphere and goals that I've been looking for. I applied and then, to my dismay, found out that if they were to hire me they would have to pay my agency a hefty "FINDER'S FEE". This was a shock to me. I was never aware of this stipulation. I feel deceived because I was never made aware of this stipulation. This hospital, however, is willing to work with me to work something out as far as this finders fee is concerned. Does anyone have any clever ideas on how I should approach this situation and also, is my agency required to notify their agency staff of this "clause" in their contracts with participating facilities? I need a quick answer because my interview is tomorrow morning.

Re: Sticky situation re: agency .....

Hi dkalang, welcome to the forums. That situation really sucks. Not a lawyer here, but can you document that you had a relationship with the hospital's HR department prior to working there through the agency? If you can't, I'm not sure what the recourse would be. Best of luck, I hope someone more knowledgable than I can help you here. What department do you work in?

O_S

Find out if your state is a "right to work" state. If it is your agency can't prevent or hinder you form working for that hospital..

Most of these clauses aren't worth the paper they are written on.

WR,,, three commas for Becca

I work in Texas so "right to work" is not in the vocabulary here. The agency cannot prevent me from going to work for this new hospital. But the hospital will be required to pay quite a hefty "finder's fee". The lady that I am to interview with said that the contract states that if the agency nurse has worked there 1045 hours as an agency prn nurse, the hospital would have to pay $1000. However, if the nurse has worked less than the 1045 hours, the hospital would have to pay a certain amount (unknown to me) per hour to the agency. I've only worked 100 hours at this hospital but the whole atmosphere and attitude there is so conducive to encouraging critical thinking skills and working together. I also know many people already employed there who are so positive and encouraging, not whiners and complainers. The CEO is an RN and he also has an MBA but he keeps his nursing license current. When he arrived a few weeks ago, the first thing he did was to make the Doctor's Lounge an Employees Lounge. No segregation! This hospital has all of the trappings to become a Magnet Hospital in the future. Anyway, that's probably more detail than is necessary. My clinical area of interest is ICU.

Hahahah.. Do you really think the hospital "has" to pay a fee.. OMG.. Hospitals are notorious for cancelling travel contracts and even agency.. It's a crock IMHO. And I believe Texas is a "right to work" state. I'd check it out further. It's a ploy to get you to stay with the agency so they don't lose $$$$$...Don't take it at face value.

WR,,, three commmas for Becca

[ QUOTE ]
    dkalang said:
    My clinical area of interest is ICU.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well alrighty. Don't forget to come visit us on the Critical Care Board and share you experiences. I sincerely hope this all works out for you.

Good Luck.
    O_S

Update on \"sticky situation\":

An update on my "sticky situation". The interview went wonderful until we got into the "finder fee" subject. According to the contract between this facility and the agency that I am working for, the amount that this hospital would have to pay is around $26,000.00!!!!! Of course, there's NO WAY that I could possibly be hired by any facility within 500 miles of here. The HR director called my agency but the owner was out so I went straight over to my agency after the interview. I read my file folder, every page, and I did not sign any contract or paperwork revealing this "penalty" for leaving the agency and working for a contracted facility. After speaking with my "boss", I feel pretty confident that he will negotiate for a much more reasonable fee, especially after I pored over my file and handbook. I should find out something in the morning. I am pretty angry about this situation. Any comments???? And, yes, Texas is a "right to work" state, whatever that means.

Re: Update on \"sticky situation\":

Yikes! ! ! 500 mile radius YGBSM

It means you have a right to work unincumbered. In other words no one, even you, has to pay a fee to get a job.

Tell the hospital not to pay it. And to put you on the payroll ASAP if that's what you want.

How does the agency propose to "get" the money. Send the hospital a bill..HAhahahaha

WR,,, three commas for Becca

Does anyone think that I have a case to file a lawsuit? Also any websites where I may find information about situations similar to mine?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast