Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Experience Talking

Talking Experience Talking

I have been a contract/travel nurse on and off for the past 6 years. What have I found? The company you work for is kind of important, BUT your recruiter can make or break your life on the road. I started out with Professional Nursing Services out of Salt Lake City, UT. My first assignment and I drove up to a project housing apartment. Literally the police told me I couldn't stay there because it wasn't safe. Then I went to American Mobile Nurses. After finding a nurse with a considerable amount of years expeirence LESS than I had, in the same department, for the same company was making about $12.00/hr more than I...my recruiter told me..."It's nothing personal, it's just business." OH...I left that company also. Then I found RN Network. Not really the company, but my recruiter Stacy B. and her compadre Dorothy. I have been with them for almost 3 years. If something goes wrong, they fix it and work it out with the company later. If I find a hitch in the middle of my contract...they amend it. Did you know contracts can be negotiated in the middle of one? I didn't until I met Stacy and Dorothy. If I paint myself into a corner, they help me out until I can get out of the corner. I know, we nurses live and learn. WE are a caring bunch who forget to take care of ourselves. Anyhoo....I just wanted you to know how happy I am and that I have learned a lot over the past 6 years. I may not make the highest dollar amount out there but it's pretty darn close. and I wouldn't trade my safety net (Stacy and Dorothy)for any amount of money. They have NEVER let me down. And you know what? It IS personal. My recruiter is my friend.

Re: Experience Talking

Just took my first travel job and it is with RN Network. Off to North Carolina. Worried sick about the PBDS test for this hospital as it is the first one and first job. It has been 15 years since I've done so much studying and yet it is beginning to flow together. They are not even putting me into housing until I pass the PBDS?? Staying in a hotel, but when I looked the hotel up today as I am now enroute, find it has horrible reputation. Any suggestions if I get there on Saturday and it is as bad as they say? Hints on PBDS are appreciated. Seeing the questions, but never have seen the answers.

What is a PBDS test? I am just beginning the travel application process. Thanks

Call your recruiter before you leave and let them know what you found out. I'll bet they will move you if it is that bad or unsafe..

Yep, got here today and didn't even go in. The neighborhood locals were hanging out in the parking lot and there was one car in the parking lot. Dropped by the local police station to see if my perception of the place was skewed - nope, right on. Called the emergency number as recruiter was off on Saturday. Took a little doing and ended up in another hotel - no Mariott and a million cigarette infested hotel, but I feel safe. Now if I can pass the PBDS (performance based assessment in which you have to make a medical diagnosis (not nursing) and write out your
    nursing interventions and rationales) Whoa buddy!

Member Extraordinaire

Quote Originally Posted by Beaches View Post
    Just took my first travel job and it is with RN Network. Off to North Carolina. Worried sick about the PBDS test for this hospital as it is the first one and first job. It has been 15 years since I've done so much studying and yet it is beginning to flow together. They are not even putting me into housing until I pass the PBDS?? Staying in a hotel, but when I looked the hotel up today as I am now enroute, find it has horrible reputation. Any suggestions if I get there on Saturday and it is as bad as they say? Hints on PBDS are appreciated. Seeing the questions, but never have seen the answers.
    If you send me a PM with your e-mail address, I will send you a copy of the study guide. What hospital in NC are you at???
    Amanda, RN, BSN
    Ex-Traveler Extraordinaire,
    Resident Trauma Queen

Where in NC are you? glad you got better hotel.
    Keep us posted on PBDS. I've taken it 3 times and passed but it is a headache. This was in Florida.
    good luck

WELL... took the test on Monday (knew how poorly I had done) and got the boot today as I did not make the grade. Of the six travel nurses who got there Monday, 3 were sent home. Two of the nurses left had already worked at that hospital in the past, one was an LPN and didn't take the test. Going to put that behind me and hopefully my recruiter can find somewhere else nearby that doesn't require the test. Can't face that test again just yet and there are no second chances at that hospital. anyway. There is also no feedback as to what you should have done. Felt it was way too many situations in too little time to do them justice. Atleast it was exposure, and I will know better what to expect should I take it again. I may just refuse to accept an assignment that requires this in the future as about half-way thru, I almost walked out in frustration.:cry_smile: Chalking it up to just another experience.

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

I know AmandaWIRN will NOT accept assignments that require the PBDS.

Just wondering if hospitals are setting themselves up for a lack of staff with that thing.

Hey Beaches
    Sorry about that no good test. It does not mean a thing regarding your clinical skills.It is an unusual test. When I was in Florida this past winter so many nurses did not pass and I hated seeing the way they felt.
    I hope you get a job nearby.
    Keep us posted.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast