Thread: Mail, Wireless Internet and PDA's

Mail, Wireless Internet and PDA's

Just getting started to travel and I wondered how you all handle your mail? Getting it forwarded sounds problematic, especially going from place to place every 13 weeks. How do you arrange for wireless internet across the country, I am just getting around to researching it. Also, I wanted to get a PDA for quick reference with ICU/Pharmacology software. Does anyone have one and if so which product/company? AACN offers one, anyone purchase that? Thanks.

Member Extraordinaire

Re: Mail, Wireless Internet and PDA's

My husband and I have all our mail sent to his parent's address, then once a week they send it all to us wherever we are in one big envelope.

We just get high speed internet & cable hooked up each place we go. If you go with cable, you don't have to sign any contracts,and you don't have to buy any equipment, just return the cable box & modem when you move. It works out well, too, because a lot of cable companies will offer deals, like a lower price or more channels (free HBO, etc...) for the first 3 months- when you move every few months, you can take advantage of those specials a few times a year!

Don't know about the PDA, don't have one....
    Amanda, RN, BSN
    Ex-Traveler Extraordinaire,
    Resident Trauma Queen

We get internet service through our cell phone company. You can either use your phone as a modem (around 25 dollars a month, works well if you get good reception) or purchase a card.

We're trying the mail forwarding thing this time around... in the past, my husbands parents have checked our mail for us and alerted us if we received anything important. Some things slipped through the cracks that way though, so we'll see if forwarding works.

Wink Re: Mail, Wireless Internet and PDA's

First I try to get off all mailing list and have all banks, insurance companies etc take me off of their marketing offers.

Any thing I get that I didn't request write return to sender and strike out address and may write at the bottom remove from mailing list.

There are some numbers to call that I don't have now to request no credit offers be sent to you and an address to to write to get off marketing direct mail.

My wife and I are careful who we give our address to.

It's an uphill battle. My goal is no paper mail and handle everything online. I realize there are somethings that must be sent via snail mail.

All of the above that we have done so far has greatly reduced our mail. The rest can be fowarded by family or friends or use a fowarding service (which is cheaper if you do all the above)

CJ www.TravelNurseToolbox.com

I have a palm pilot and I found a program called PEPID. Check it out at PEPID Medical Information Services for PDA, Pocket PC, Mobile Wireless & Online Use. This makes everything faster and easier. At this time I am not a traveler but I use it daily. It is a little high on price put you get a 2 year service and I look at it as if my time is worth it!

Talking Re: Mail, Wireless Internet and PDA's

Mail is an ongoing issue for me right now. I currently have my mail going to my parents house and they foward anything that looks important. Howevever some things tend to get overlooked in this process. As for email and internet, I use AT&T and have an air card that works anywhere I go for a monthly fee. I used to use a Palm Tungsten E2. Now however, I have an iPhone which has applications for the same programs I was using on the palm, it also gives me internet access, email, etc. all on one device. Oh yeah it doubles as my iPod too. And any time you can cut back on the amount of stuff you drag around with you is a good thing!

Wink Re: Mail, Wireless Internet and PDA's

You can have your mail go to one of the mailbox places and they will forward for you. I have my permanent address at one and they forward my mail every ten days. I provide stamped addressed envelopes. They charge $2 to forward. Good alternative to relying on relatives.

Putting my mail on a "temporary forwarding" thru the post office to my actual travel apartment address was a nightmare. Some was forwarded after a month, some was kept at my PO box in my home town, much was sent back to sender and basically "lost" causing lots of problems. Now i actually don't have my mail forwarded at all. My hometown post office is small and keeps it for me the 3 months i am gone. I try and do everything by internet banking or phone calls. If i order something or my family wants to send something they can send to my travel address if i give it to them.

As for internet, i just recently bought an air card and plan with AT&T because i have my cell phone with them and have been happy with their service and areas of coverage over the years. It is perfect for me as i like to take short trips on my days off work and this way it doesn't matter if the hotel/resort has wireless internet or not--i do!

I don't mind the extra cost of the air card as i do not install phone, TV, or internet where i live for 3 months each time. At my permanent home, i also do not have TV, phone, or internet installed. I really don't watch TV but i do take a flat antenna with me, and a very small DVD player.