Thread: Do female nurses & med techs talk among themselves about patients private parts?

Do female nurses & med techs talk among themselves about patients private parts?

I am wondering if after a female nurse or a med tech sees a male patient's private parts, do they talk among themselves later about how big or small they are and either fantasize or make fun of the patient behind closed doors?

I am serious about this as it has become a major controversy in my facility.

I have created a poll regarding this at Mr. Poll.

Please take my poll at: Mister Poll: Do female nurses & med techs talk among themselves about patients private parts?

Thank you.

Member Extraordinaire

Re: Do female nurses & med techs talk among themselves about patients private parts?

You have got to be kidding..... NO, we don't "fantasize" about our patient's private parts.... we are professionals- give us some credit....:rolleyes:
    Amanda, RN, BSN
    Ex-Traveler Extraordinaire,
    Resident Trauma Queen

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Re: Do female nurses & med techs talk among themselves about patients private parts?

If that's all some of the staff have time to do, they need to get a life and be a bit more professional. :rolleyes:

In this profession you are going to see genitalia left and right. You are even going to witness alot of things that you probably did not want to witness. However, we are health care professionals. I think I can speak for the majority of nurses when I say that when we are doing a procedure(e.g. catheterization, pelvic exam, etc) that involves exposing the patient's genital area, we simply think of this area as what it is; another piece of human anatomy. That is it.

Furthermore, it is highly inappropriate to be "fantasizing" about a patient. They have put their trust into you as a healthcare professional, and we shall(Not Should) act as such.

I had a paramedic one time ask me about 12 leads on large breasted individuals, and how to avoid awkward situations, my reply was; you cannot. The 12 lead has to be placed, and your job is to inform your patient of what it is you are doing, why you are doing it, and how you will be doing it. You can also take steps to make a situation less awkward. In this particular situation I advised the paramedic to lift the breast with the back of his hand, so he could place the leads rather than cupping her breast.

When push comes to shove, we are healthcare professionals.

Imagine how a woman would feel, if she was getting a gynecological exam and the person performing it was snickering and making lude comments. Vice versa, imagine you are getting a catheter, and the nurse is doing the same.
    Flight/Trauma Nurse
    RN, B.S.N., CCRN, ccNREMT-P, FP-C,
    B.S. NeuroScience, M.S.N.(ACNP/FNP) Student
    ACLS, PALS, NRP, PHTLS, and all the other $2 titles

This is true. This was talked about on allnurses under the thread
    whoa...inappropriate. Very disturbing.

Quote Originally Posted by RANMIN View Post
    I am quite sure that the same thread at 'that place' got closed, locked, and sent to their 'limbo' Forums.

If this is all someone has to do with their time, they have no business being in the PROFESSION!

Member Extraordinaire

Quote Originally Posted by RANMIN View Post
    Yes, the thread in question "over there" has magically disappeared...

the word "totalitarianism" come to mind....
    Amanda, RN, BSN
    Ex-Traveler Extraordinaire,
    Resident Trauma Queen

Talk about disturbing! (NOT!) It isn't even surprising.

The OP seems to have come and gone. Tells ya something, don't it?

simonperl

Quote Originally Posted by AmandaWIRN View Post
    You have got to be kidding..... NO, we don't "fantasize" about our patient's private parts.... we are professionals- give us some credit....:rolleyes:
    I agree with you

--------------------------
    Simon
    Nursing Jobs