I have just recently started to search the Internet, so there may be more out there, but I very much like this site!
I am an LPN who works at an Alternative Learning Center. We have 52 full time 10-12 graders and 18 full time 8-9 graders.
These are the most "at-risk" kids in the district. Much of my 'health assessments' consist of questions like "Are you sure its not that you just smoked too much weed last night?" or "So what are you going to do now that your parent's have kicked you out?"

I was hired 3 years ago with the understanding that this was a position in the making. We would sort of see what we needed and go from there. I do use a Band-aid occasionally, and some meds management but I am also the person in charge of attendance/truancy. I have taught smoking cessation, childbirth prep, and Baby Think-it Over (aka no... you don't want a baby right now) I also do most of the conflict resolution, mediation, and your basic 'come on let's take a walk, and talk.' I am the "dumping ground" for the kids that get kicked out of class and for the kids that need, a place to cool off, a quiet place to work, or just a hug, and "how are ya".
I LOVE IT!!!

What words of wisdom do you have for this style of "nursing"?

I am constantly looking for ways to help kids get or stay motivated.
Ways to show them that not all adults think alike. There are some of us out there who can be great resources for them. I love being able to answer their questions, or make them feel like someone notices when they choose to come to school that day.
I want my office to be a safe comfortable place for them. I take a lot of flack from the teachers for "babying" them. But I strongly feel like that is what they need sometimes. You don't care about Historical Novel, if you had a huge fight with your mom this morning. Integrated math is really hard to follow if you know your boyfriend is going to knock you around a bit later tonight.
There must be other nurses out there that do the same, how can I find them?
Where can I get ideas for the small groups I lead twice a week?
What kind of things can help the kids feel more connected?
How can I encourage "community" within our school?

Whew, that was alot! :-)
Thanks for anything you can give me!
jjnurse