Thread: Apartments?

Apartments?

Just a quick question, if you take the housing stipend, how hard it is to find a short term lease apartment?

Member Extraordinaire

Re: Apartments?

Depends on the city- in a big city, it won't be too difficult, in a smaller town, however, you might have a harder time. I know a lot f travelers who use craigslist to find housing.
    Amanda, RN, BSN
    Ex-Traveler Extraordinaire,
    Resident Trauma Queen

I second the whole depends on the city part. I had no problems in Fresno or Sacramento. More problems in Santa Barbara.

The agency I work for finds housing for me instead of giving me the housing stipend. They pay all utilites also,

Member Extraordinaire

Quote Originally Posted by maryk650 View Post
    The agency I work for finds housing for me instead of giving me the housing stipend. They pay all utilites also,
    Most agencies will find your housing if you want, but the OP is asking about taking the housing stipend instead. A good agency will give you the option- either free housing/utilities OR a generous housing stipend. By taking the housing stipend and then finding their own housing, travelers can then make more money by pocketing some of the stipend.
    Amanda, RN, BSN
    Ex-Traveler Extraordinaire,
    Resident Trauma Queen

If we took out stipend I doubt we could find anything better than what we live in now. The apartment we have is SUPER NICE. Furnished and the only bill we pay are internet and TV. You can't beat this place. We could not afford this rent if we had to pay it. Look at my blog
    TRAVEL NURSE BLOG Traveling Carruth's

It depends on the area. I would love to take the stipend but so far I have not felt comfortable looking for my own apt.
    But I know alot of people who want the xtra money and make out well finding shared apartments ads, etc. and short term rental by checking every advertisement available

I look on Craig's list for housing and also if it is a vacation city VRBO® is Vacation Rentals By Owner is a good website to look. A lot of these places are already furnished with everything so you don't have to bring anything but your clothes!:banana:

I am much more comfortable letting the agency find my apartment. They have housing coordinators that can find out things about the neighborhood and make sure everything is supplied for you. As someone who often flies and rents a car, I let the company do as much as possible! It makes it much easier. I usually only take my clothes and that's all I have to bring. We have enough stress in our lives!