Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Online CPR Classes

Member Extraordinaire

Re: Online CPR Classes

Quote Originally Posted by Ricu View Post
    Hi folks,

Online training works well for so many other programs in healthcare but I believe it is not the best method for certain skills like CPR. While relatively uncomplicated technically, the physical component to performing it well cannot be learned or practiced online. I've been CPR certified since 1978 and actually do it fairly often. Effective compressions takes practice and that classroom time is the only opportunity many people get to actually use this skill AND be observed/coached. Online CPR certification does not ensure technique is performed well enough to save a life and the public deserves better than that.

R
    I agree- if you take it online and are doing it wrong, no one is there to correct you.

P.S. The Jeopardy theme song, and "Push It" by Salt n' Peppa work well, too!
    Amanda, RN, BSN
    Ex-Traveler Extraordinaire,
    Resident Trauma Queen

Ricu

I wonder where my quiana shirts and bellbottom pants are?

The online programs that I saw still require one to go somewhere to do a hands on skills check off. So I don't see much advantage. Most places recertify someone in only a few hours.

Hi folks,

Online training works well for so many other programs in healthcare but I believe it is not the best method for certain skills like CPR. While relatively uncomplicated technically, the physical component to performing it well cannot be learned or practiced online. I've been CPR certified since 1978 and actually do it fairly often. Effective compressions takes practice and that classroom time is the only opportunity many people get to actually use this skill AND be observed/coached. Online CPR certification does not ensure technique is performed well enough to save a life and the public deserves better than that.

R
    If you do CPR fairly often, and you've been doing it since 1978, then you should be more than capable of being recertified online.

Also, yeah, doing it online and then going to a classroom for the hands-on portion does sound like it kind of negates the whole purpose of doing CPR online in the first place, but being able to learn the steps, the science, and the reasons why everything is the way it is, at your own pace is priceless.

Being able to review the same teachings, and go back over things whenever you want to keep yourself fresh is something you don't get in a classroom. There, you go to a class, and you're left to your own skills at the end. It's kind of like cramming for a test the night before. Very little actually sticks.

Plus, this way, you're only spending a quarter of the time in the classroom, if that. Much more convenient when you have worked a double shift, or have other things that you need to do on the Saturday that the class may have been scheduled. Or in the middle of the workday, which is common.

With our trainings, we also offer weekly email refresher videos, which many people that haven't even taken our course are signed up to receive.

Not to mention that, when the teachings change, we re-create our videos. So if you're in the middle of a 2-year certification, and there are new CPR updates, you'll get new videos to keep you up to date in the latest science behind CPR, even if you still have a year and a half until your next certification.
    ProTrainings - Quality Training: When you want it, where you want it

Ricu

[QUOTE=LuminousSpecter;61614]If you do CPR fairly often, and you've been doing it since 1978, then you should be more than capable of being recertified online.

Also, yeah, doing it online and then going to a classroom for the hands-on portion does sound like it kind of negates the whole purpose of doing CPR online in the first place, but being able to learn the steps, the science, and the reasons why everything is the way it is, at your own pace is priceless.

Being able to review the same teachings, and go back over things whenever you want to keep yourself fresh is something you don't get in a classroom. There, you go to a class, and you're left to your own skills at the end. It's kind of like cramming for a test the night before. Very little actually sticks.

Plus, this way, you're only spending a quarter of the time in the classroom, if that. Much more convenient when you have worked a double shift, or have other things that you need to do on the Saturday that the class may have been scheduled. Or in the middle of the workday, which is common.

With our trainings, we also offer weekly email refresher videos, which many people that haven't even taken our course are signed up to receive.

Not to mention that, when the teachings change, we re-create our videos. So if you're in the middle of a 2-year certification, and there are new CPR updates, you'll get new videos to keep you up to date in the latest science behind CPR, even if you still have a year and a half until your next certification.[/QU

As you imply, I should be pretty capable of of recertifying online and, I am. While recertifying, it used to be "our" regular practice to write the test, do rescue breathing, conscious and unconscious choking on adult and baby and cut a perfect strip in fifteen minutes with a 100% score. Done. Now that's time efficiency. My point is that I disagree with the process, not the new information especially as pertains to stroke assessment. Under the pretext of keeping up with technology, the AHA and ARC have made what was once a fairly straightforeward process un-necessarily complicated. Watch the video, listen to the instructor, practice on the mannequin, watch the video, listen to the instructor, more mannequin, and so on. In my opinion, this process certainly does not improve the delivery of information nor does it clarify. What it does do is use more technology simply by adding the video. I am defnintely not a technophobe but I do not see where using technology for it's own sake makes the program better. As for the online training offering more technical information, it doesn't since the book has the same information. The difference is that you're reading your monitor rather than reading your book.

My points here have to do with certification/ recertification of healthcare workers. These individuals are more likely to stay certified and can get around the issues that I see in the new process. The main point of my original comment had to do with the general public who has little or no experience with CPR. I feel strongly that remote style education should not be encouraged for people in that setting however, the proof of whether online certification is at all effective will be made clear the ten year cycle re-evaluation. In the mean time, I have my doubts.

R

As you imply, I should be pretty capable of of recertifying online and, I am. While recertifying, it used to be "our" regular practice to write the test, do rescue breathing, conscious and unconscious choking on adult and baby and cut a perfect strip in fifteen minutes with a 100% score. Done. Now that's time efficiency. My point is that I disagree with the process, not the new information especially as pertains to stroke assessment. Under the pretext of keeping up with technology, the AHA and ARC have made what was once a fairly straightforeward process un-necessarily complicated. Watch the video, listen to the instructor, practice on the mannequin, watch the video, listen to the instructor, more mannequin, and so on. In my opinion, this process certainly does not improve the delivery of information nor does it clarify. What it does do is use more technology simply by adding the video. I am defnintely not a technophobe but I do not see where using technology for it's own sake makes the program better. As for the online training offering more technical information, it doesn't since the book has the same information. The difference is that you're reading your monitor rather than reading your book.

My points here have to do with certification/ recertification of healthcare workers. These individuals are more likely to stay certified and can get around the issues that I see in the new process. The main point of my original comment had to do with the general public who has little or no experience with CPR. I feel strongly that remote style education should not be encouraged for people in that setting however, the proof of whether online certification is at all effective will be made clear the ten year cycle re-evaluation. In the mean time, I have my doubts.

R
    Excellent! Thank you for taking the time to actually read my post. You make very valid points and I am thankful for that, and hope to be able to put it into practice in order to help improve on the course that we offer.

When it comes to the general public, it is there that we completely agree. We do want them to learn the skills, and we are hoping that, if they watch some of our videos, perhaps they'll actually take the time to schedule a class with their local Red Cross or they'll take our blended course.

When all is said and done, we just want everyone to know how to save a life, and we can agree that hands-on training is the way to go for all lay-rescuers. If we can help the busy moms and dads to learn things from the safety of home, and they find a class later on, then we've done our job well, and they've learned the importance of this life-saving skill.

As far as using more technology, simply because we have it.. well, that's more a sign of the times, than anything else. I can't speak for every online program, or the AHA or ARC's blended programs, but only when it comes to ProCPR. We've tried our best to streamline our blended course as much as possible, and we're constantly working to improve the process. We're building up a network of skill evaluators in every state, and we're trying to make it easy for hospitals to save time and money on healthcare professional trainings.

Sorry if I sounded like a salesman there, I have been told that I talk like a movie trailer.

Again, I really appreciate your comments and will take them back to my partners to see what we can work into the next updates and where we can streamline things even more.
    ProTrainings - Quality Training: When you want it, where you want it

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12