Thread: Denver area hospitals

Question Denver area hospitals

Can anyone tell me anything about the hospitals in the denver area? I am thinking of relocating and am unfamiliar with the health care system there. What are the large teaching hospitals like? and are there any icu's that have a mixed patient population (a little post op hearts, a little neuro/trauma, post surgicals, medical icu patiets)? Also, does anyone know a ball park figure for base pay for staff nurses?? I have 8 years experience in different ICU settings. Any info would be helpful....thanks!!

Re: Denver area hospitals

The 2 main teaching hospitals are University of Colorado hosp. and Denver Health. There is also Denver Childrens.
    I worked at Denver Health, it is the main trauma hosp. and Level 1. We get life flights from all over, and different states. This would be the main hosp. you would want to work at for ICU if you like trauma and severe cases. It is also famous for limp restoration. They have a med ICU and Surgical ICU. Everything has been rebuilt over the past few yrs and they are still working on construction so it is pretty nice. My whole unit moved and we got a whole new floor, used to have only 2-3 computers now there are tons everywhere outside each patient room and separate rooms of computers for doctors and nurses.
    I did some rotations with Neuro surgery for my FNP program but can't really tell you much about the ICU.
    I'm not sure about ICU pay but DH is the highest paying hosp. in Denver. they start new grads ~2/hr more than other local hospitals. They have AWESOME retirement!!! you don't have to pay social security tax (that in of itself is worth working there!) I had ~22k saved over 3 years in a 401a account that's in my name and the gov. can't touch it! i paid 6% then the co. paid 3% then you can open another acct that the co. will match i think up to another 6% !! that's lots of free money!!

They do have a questionairre phone interview that you have to pass (was implemented after i started) and its a bunch of crock and truthfully i don't know how to pass it?? my mom failed it and you have to wait a month to re-apply... then you have lazy people who pass it, one of our clerks kept going on the ICU beds and sleeping for hours on her shift, she passed the exam. Then you have GREAT nurses that can't pass it.. it asks stupid questions like do you pay your bills on time?, like its any of their business.... but anyways, if you don't pass they won' t give you a personal interview...

let me know of any other questions.

Re: Denver area hospitals

Gorgeous place to live! Littleton has skiing nearby on days off. Several events hosted at Clement Park--free summer concerts in the park, free fireworks shows, food festivals, etc. Bike trails throughout Littleton. Close to several hospitals!
    Temporary housing avaiable across the street at The Fairways. Check us out at brethefairways dot com

Smile Re: Denver area hospitals

thank you, emtneel, for all that great info about denver health. definately look into that. I am hoping to relocate sometime this summer, havent really started looking for jobs yet but guess i should start. :banana: