Thread: help?

help?

Hi, I'm Mary and I reside in North Carolina. I came upon this forum to seek some answers, especially about being a CNA. I just got certified and tomorrow is my second day working at a nursing home. I'm quite overwhelmed--least to say. There's a lot of duties that I have to do over the course of my shift. (I work first shift from 7-3)

The CNA that I trained with was extremely nice and let me kind of "shadow" her. But I'm confused about trying to schedule my time so that I can get to all the residents and give them the care they need.

1) How do you know what kind of care each resident receives? (Please remember that I just started!) Is it written down for you?

2) It's confusing to know when and who's bed I change everyday.

3) How do you know who goes to the dinning room and who stays in their room to have breakfast/lunch/dinner?

4) What does the first shift as a CNA usually consist of?

If anyone could give me some advice or anything! I would very much appreciate it. I just want to be able to care for the individuals as I would like for someone to care for me.

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Re: help?

Welcome, Mary!

Where I work, the bed linen is changed at least twice a week, on shower days. (One shower is on days, other is on 3-11's). Of course, if the person has an 'accident'.....

As for meals, EVERYone is up for meals. Decreases the chance of choking incidents.

There should be an ADL available for each patient. Find out where they are kept, and look them over. Often, you CNA's are the ones who notice the little changes that indicate something's going on.

'Cat'