Thread: another update

another update

I made the dean's list for the second semester in a row and have been accdepted into a BSN program at a local private school. I start in the fall. I decided to go with a private school since the waiting lists at the public schools were up to 5 years. Even though it is much more expensive they seem to very liberal with financial aid.

My job in the local ER has aided me greatly with my classes (and vice-versa) and I will be eligible for tuition reimbursement so the burden of tuition won't be so great. I just wanted to keep in touch and say thanks again for the advice. Also, if anyone has any advice for me concerning clinicals, or anything else I should expect or watch out for in my nursing program I would appreciate it.

I would also like to add that I definately feel that I am on the right track. Sometimes I can get cranky after working 12 hours and then going to class all day but all it takes is a thankyou from a patient or a family member to put things back in perspective. I rarely post but I follow the forum regularly so even though your advice may not be directed at me personally it has helped me. I will post an update every so often, and once clinicals start, I'm sure I will have plenty of questions as well.

Re: another update

Awesome! Keep us posted...

Re: another update

USMC,
    You were either a Marine or a Marine Corpsman. That is a BIG PLUS. I have been in nursing for almost 40 years. Therefore, you know I am OLD.
    You are concerned about clinicals -- don't be. When you get your assignment, look at the PATIENT -- then read his/her chart. Remember to always ask Why? or How? Then you will be able to determine the nursing care required without any problem. I have taught nursing at a University and also taught Clinical.
    One thing you may have to contend with are Professors who have been in Academia for so long, they no longer know how to deliver Patient Care.
    Learn your Pathophysiology -- know it so well you can tell in your sleep.
    Remember to show your compassion -- sometimes men are afraid to do that, although I think it has improved greatly since I first started to school.
    <font color="red">If you have any questions that I can help with, please email me -- tom_burrell@bellsouth.net. I will do my best to help. </font>
    I wish you the best of luck. With your past experience, I believe you will do very well. Keep up the good work. Also, remember you are a Nursing Student -- Not a "Male" nursing student. Be proud of the title, you will work hard to earn it.
    Again, the best of luck and God Bless.

Good advice

Tom,

You give EXCELLENT advice. I'm just starting my final year of RN preparation and your suggestions for success are RIGHT ON!

Plus your evaluation of some of the academicians goes both ways. Some of the clinical instructors are so far removed from the science that they cannot explain things to a novice to help us progress. For example, I was asked what mannitol was used for in my patient who is having chemotherapy. I didn't know off the top of my head, so I worked through it from the bottom up: mannitol is a sugar alcohol, so it has large molecules... large molecules change oncotic pressure, so the patient will diurese... My clinical instructor said, "gee! you think too much. don't you know that mannitol is an osmotic diuretic?" Then she proceeded to say that I did not know my drugs. <sigh>

I was scared of clinicals when I first started. But once I got into them and had successes, my confidence continues to grow.

I would add one more piece of advice. If an instructor seems to be dogging a nursing student unfairly, it's often a no-win situation. But keeping one's nose to the grindstone and asking for help is typically viewed as a strength. And if all else fails, as one of my mentors once told me, "Suck it up and get through it." Time marches on. LOL