Thread: Relocation for nurses in recovery

Relocation for nurses in recovery

Does anybody have any experience with relocation to a different state while in a peer assistance program such as the IPN in Florida, I am interested in all states? Also is there a list of states without restriction of impaired nurse programs?

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar

Re: Relocation for nurses in recovery

Hi,
    I'm a recovering alcoholic in Diversion in Southern California. So first of all we do a program in California. I have heard from other nurses who have completed the program that it is best to finish where you are before moving out of state. Most states with a program will accept you but you have to present a report of 100% compliance which means no dirty or even questionable UDS for the time you've been in Diversion. In many states they make you start the program from scratch no matter how long you've been in the other state's program. So unless you have a compelling reason to move I would suggest that you wait until your program is complete. Patience, humility and acceptance are the keystones on which true recovery is built. If you are less than 12 months sober remember that you should not take on any major life changes in your first year. Learning to live sober can be hard enough without the stress of moving added on.