Thread: Maybe a bias in school?

Maybe a bias in school?

:33:Well a couple days ago I witnissed a male student fail an in-class clinical for not wearing the appropriate clothing. He was wearing a black hat, and the instructor failed him from the check off because of it. I was standing in the hall way at the time and saw that most of the students were also violating dress code too, since many were wearing jeans and shirts. He was pretty upset and I don't know how I could help him. He told me today that he tried to contact the instructors but he gets the same response, which is basically "They are pretty much giving me no option but to take the failure." I wasn't even aware of a dress code policy for this lab clinical, and he has been wearing that hat for some time.
    What should I tell him? I told him to take it on the chin and play their game, as the instructor is probably trying to make an example with the men but when I rethink about what I said, it doesn't sound fair.

Ricu

Re: Maybe a bias in school?

Quote Originally Posted by Red_Baron View Post
    :33:Well a couple days ago I witnissed a male student fail an in-class clinical for not wearing the appropriate clothing. He was wearing a black hat, and the instructor failed him from the check off because of it. I was standing in the hall way at the time and saw that most of the students were also violating dress code too, since many were wearing jeans and shirts. He was pretty upset and I don't know how I could help him. He told me today that he tried to contact the instructors but he gets the same response, which is basically "They are pretty much giving me no option but to take the failure." I wasn't even aware of a dress code policy for this lab clinical, and he has been wearing that hat for some time.
    What should I tell him? I told him to take it on the chin and play their game, as the instructor is probably trying to make an example with the men but when I rethink about what I said, it doesn't sound fair.

Hi Red,

From what you say, it sounds like this student was singled out and made an example of, but hopefully not because of being male. I wonder if there may not be more to his story especially since you report that other students were in violation of the dress code too. Either way, I believe you gave good advice to "take it on the chin" and keep going. He may have recourse within the school admin. but following that route will likely cause the instructors to put more pressure on him. If he wants to complete the program more than make an issue over his alleged mistreatment, he will fall into step and work hard. Right or wrong, it will be the shortest path to follow and get him to his goal of becoming a nurse.

Thanks for writing,

R

Exclamation Re: Maybe a bias in school?

hey guys my name is maxmy email is maxmath1995@yahoo.comand my teacher assigned this research paper, we are supposed to arugue some topic, no matter what our standings are on this and my topic is "stereotypes againts male nurses" and since my uncle is a nurse i definately see no differance between men and women in the feild of nursing. however i am suposed to have another persons quote or arguement to support my own. my due date is dec 18,if anybody has anything to quote please email me. like i said i'm on your side and am getting tired of all these d*** insults on ya'll as it insults me to im personaly thinking about going into the nursing feild myself

Every year at the Nursing School I went to they failed a Male student, this was pointed out to me when we started our classes. Kind of a hand me down tidbit of knowledge from the RN class to the LPN Class. I as well as all my classmates dismissed this as a bit of razzing to get our nerves up or such. as the year went on it was clear that somthing was amiss and some truth may have been behind this roumor. when going over homework for a "CERTAIN" class we noticed that three out of the four guys had question #9 marked as wrong (we didn't ask guy #4)when we asked our Gal-Pals from our study group what they had they showed us and they were marked as correct (same answers the guys had) (sound fishy?)(it did to us too.) when the instructor was asked what the correct answer was (by one of the Gals) it was confirmed that our answers were the propper ones. We kept our suspitions quiet for a while. Things like this kept happening. We finaly confided in another instructor showed our evidence and asked her to keep it hush-hush, this she did. When at the end of the school year the first instructor failed one of us guys we thaught we had enough to save our friend, but alass it wasn't to be. The fact that we had our evidence was good enough to send the BAD APPLE packing but our friend had to wait for a year to re-take the FAILED rotation(He passed with flying colors). does this show bias? Possibly, but I'll let you decide. It is a sad thing that we as a group of educated persons can not seem to put aside a little thing like like gender-bias once and for all.
    "BECAUSE I SAID SO" IS NOT A GOOD ENOUGH REASON.

Quote Originally Posted by Red_Baron View Post
    Why was he wearing a hat inside the building? Nevertheless, he should have been told to remove his hat from his brain housing group prior to the in-class clinical. Is the student dress code clearly posted, or at least understood?

Was this some type of skill check off? IMHO, he should be allowed another attempt, while within dress code standards. I can understand the instructor's thoughts per the small picture. Yet, from the big picture aspect this instructor is wasting valuable time.

Yes, a big part of nursing programs is jumping thru the hoops. Best to comply with same, as best as possible
    Cary James Barrett, RN, BSN

Quote Originally Posted by orionseal View Post
    Every year at the Nursing School I went to they failed a Male student, this was pointed out to me when we started our classes. Kind of a hand me down tidbit of knowledge from the RN class to the LPN Class. I as well as all my classmates dismissed this as a bit of razzing to get our nerves up or such. as the year went on it was clear that somthing was amiss and some truth may have been behind this roumor. when going over homework for a "CERTAIN" class we noticed that three out of the four guys had question #9 marked as wrong (we didn't ask guy #4)when we asked our Gal-Pals from our study group what they had they showed us and they were marked as correct (same answers the guys had) (sound fishy?)(it did to us too.) when the instructor was asked what the correct answer was (by one of the Gals) it was confirmed that our answers were the propper ones. We kept our suspitions quiet for a while. Things like this kept happening. We finaly confided in another instructor showed our evidence and asked her to keep it hush-hush, this she did. When at the end of the school year the first instructor failed one of us guys we thaught we had enough to save our friend, but alass it wasn't to be. The fact that we had our evidence was good enough to send the BAD APPLE packing but our friend had to wait for a year to re-take the FAILED rotation(He passed with flying colors). does this show bias? Possibly, but I'll let you decide. It is a sad thing that we as a group of educated persons can not seem to put aside a little thing like like gender-bias once and for all.
    A looong time ago, one of my nursing clinical instructors did not like my skills regards to piggy back med administration. I was doing great in lecture, as well as clinicals before this particular instructor. She acted like her only recourse was to have me removed from clinicals. Keep in mind, I had done nothing wrong as far a wrong piggy back hung, etc. No med error had occured. It was so petty, I don't even remember the specific concern the instructor had.

Since my prior clinical evals were stellar, and my lecture GPA was a strong B the only thing she could have me do was go to the school clinical practice lab for extra practice. I was given an assignment sheet to complete in the practice lab. Complied with the assignment sheet, and it was signed off by one of the lab instructors. The lab instructor was a little confused as to why I was doing remedial lab time. I did not want to go into a full explanation with her. She did suggest I talk to the nursing program Dean.

I was allowed back to hospital clinicals without any further issues. However, I requested to see the Dean on the matter. The Dean called in my clinical instructor to join us for the meeting. LOL, by the time we were done the Dean had my clinical instructor in tears. BTW, the Dean was a female.

TMI? Sorry, just wanted to vent about a liitle history of mine.
    Cary James Barrett, RN, BSN

Well Mag. sounds like we have a couple of things in common I too had somthing very much like this happen but it was just hanging a new bag 0.9% NS @ 60 cc/hour with a drop factor of ten; not a real hard calculation, but the instructor I mentioned made me do it three times in front of her then let me hang the bag. P.S. the batient had an IVAC.

It still remaines a fact that we as men in what is generaly seen as a "womens" field have to watch our P's and Q's a little closer than the gals do, after all it only takes one stone to make ripples in the ocean and I think we all have one person / Nurse we know who likes to make those ripples.

Most of the women I work with are great and think it is wonderful to have a little gender diversity in the workplace but as I said it only takes ONE STONE:nurse-soapbox:.

Sorry for rambleing.
    "BECAUSE I SAID SO" IS NOT A GOOD ENOUGH REASON.