Thread: Colleague from Hell

Colleague from Hell

I am currently dealing with a verbal harassment complaint, that I filed against one of my co-workers. I work nocs, the bat-from-hell works days. Needless to say, she is been working at the hospital before it was even built. She gets away with her behavior day after day, and people have complained many times before. Managament "counseled" her, coworkers confronted her, nothing seems to even phase her. What options do I have besides going through our (utterly useless) management? Can the union push for a solution, can I refuse to give report to her?? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Colleague from Hell

I would try and work with your union and see how they
    can deal with the situation.

Member Extraordinaire

did you confront her? Give your report professionally if she's not listening ask do you want report or not? if she says no say fine tell the charge nurse that hell nurse won't take report and go home. Chart well so you're covered in what you did.

Look up both the facility policy on this and any union resources. Follow policy to the letter and document the; who, what, when, where, why and, how of every step. At every new step present that individual with every step you have taken so far any action that was taken and examples of continuing behavior. Chances are the union will do more than management.

I am going thru the same situation and thinking of leaaving as nothing being done even by union that states not harrassment.
    Good Luck

Many years ago, when I was the new guy at my present job, I had the same problem with a co-worker. Now twenty-five years later, I still work with her and I still hate her guts. These problems don't go away. You either deal with it or leave. There came a point in time, when I was here long enough, that I could finally tell her to go screw herself. It's all a matter of longevity.

O_S

There are some things you should not have to get used to. Abusive co-workers can make work environment unpleasant, people have left jobs over less.

However, you'll find abusive persons where ever you go. If it isn't another nurse, it'll end up being a doctor or administrator with a bug up their butt.

Learning to ignore a person will go a long way towards helping deal with it. As long as they know they can intimidate/get a rise out of you, they'll keep it up.

Andrew Lopez, RN
    http://www.nursinga2z.com