Thread: Career change

Career change

Hi, it all started few month back, when company I work for the last ten years made an announcement about the outsourcing (they called it a fancy name Global Sourcing). I work in the IT doing programming. I am 35 y/o with 3 y/o baby and a mortgage. So, I decided to be proactive and explore my options. First thing that came to my mind was to look into something that can stay here in this country. Medical looked like it can not be outsource, unless we will be sick here and be treated by the doctors and nurses abroad. that would be interesting, however there are some headlines that claimed that the boy from one of the undeveloped countries was operated by the doctor from US thru the satellite. Anyway, I have been debating LPN or RN. the quickest for me would be an LPN night school for 2 years. and this is only if I still work full time. I already enrolled into Lincoln Tech and the classes starts in March. I do have Bachelors in Business Management, and was looking into the accelerated B.S.N., but there like 1 year of prerequisite courses that I would have to take going back to school full time. So, want to hear if there anyone in similar situation and hear your view ....Thank you

Re: Career change

Welcome Amanda.

Not in your situation, there by the grace of God go I, but, wanted to say you are indeed right, the medical field is one of the most stable careers.
    Since you say it will take you 2 years to complete the LPN program. Why do you not take the 1 year of pre-reqs and the accelerated BSN of about 1 year, would it not? Just a thought.

Or you could go the ASN route for 2 years and take pre-reqs along with the nursing courses.

If I am correct, you would only have to take the 3 science classes and chemistry?

Either way, it is two years.

Much success.
    ER-RN

It is alright to get tired, but, never give up."

Proud Grancama!

Re: Career change

Hello Eleonora,

No question that nursing will be a stable and in demand occupation for a long time to come. You need to decide if it will be for you, will you enjoy the work and find it rewarding, or not.

You could try working as a CNA briefly in a hospital or nursing home where you'll get to see nurses in action, then decide if it is for you.

I would get into nursing school as soon as possible, preferably with an RN if available, if not then an LPN. The RN will pay more over the long haul (and cost a bit more in time/tuition), however there are long waiting lists forming.

For a national list of schools, visit: http://www.4nursingschools.com

Hope that is helpful!

Best wishes for a great 2009!

Andrew Lopez, RN
    http://www.nursefriendly.com