Thread: Thinking of entering nursing - advice?

Thinking of entering nursing - advice?

Great forum! I'm 28, and thinking of entering Nursing. Our Schools in Canada offer a 2 year full time BN degree to become a RN if you have a previous degree (I'm actually an elementary teacher). I used to volunteer on hospital units helping nurses and loved it. I hate getting needles but don't mind watchign others...how did those of you who went in as a second career choose nursing? Any ideas on how to know if, once in the program, the day to day stuff (injections, IV's etc.) won't bother you? It seems to me to watch is one thing but to do another...Any other advice for a pre-newbie?

YAy to all you Male nurses by the way! (I didn't go into nursing when I was 18 because of what I thought were perceptions, and kind of regret it now!)

Doug in Western Canada

Just Do it!! What do you got to lose..

Hey Doug,

I was in the same position as you are in, but I'm 30 years old and in alternative health profession (chiropractor). I congrat to all the nurse out there and I just started my LVN program in community college. I didn't get into the RN program in California because they are all on the Lottery system.

I enjoy the interact and love this new experience, but as all good things must come to an end. There is always a point in someones life that they can burn out. Nursing have many different options in the speciality that you choose. you can go to any health field of nusring...teaching...nursing home, etc..you get the point.

Oh I will still practice chiropractic, but would be doing nursing also.

"You are never too old to Learn"

Chironurse

Good luck to you

Been an RN since 1984, almost 50 now, was an LVN (Practical Nurse) before that and an orderly starting in 1975. Was teaching nursing until recently.
    Glad to see more men coming into the profession. It's been a lonely haul.
    The technical stuff will come in time. I still can't watch the butcher cut up meat. It's just a matter of getting used to it.
    Men are so different in nursing, we are fixers and doers. it takes a while to cultivate a nuturing atttitude.
    Many wishes for your success.

davidgrn