Thread: RN Student Has Questions

RN Student Has Questions

I've gone back to college at 54 years old for an nursing degree. It's not easy, but I'm doing it. I should have done this a long time ago.

I want to travel after I graduate. I will have to bring my two dogs. Will this be a problem? I have no one to leave them with. They are 40 pounds each. Where do the airliners put the dogs now? Not with the luggage I hope.

I do have a health issue, and I need assignments where I can work 24 hours per week. Does this restriction eliminate me from being a travel nurse?

If not, would I still be given a housing subsidy, or it that something that is not a guarantee with any assignment?

Thank you.

Debbie

Member Extraordinaire

Re: RN Student Has Questions

Well, you will need at least 1-2 years of experience as an RN in your specialty before you travel. Once you have the experience, you'll be ready to hit the road!

For a dog that weighs 40lbs, most airlines would probably not let you bring them in the cabin in a carrier (especially 2 of them), because they are too big- their carrier would not fit under a seat. So, I think they then do go in an area under the plane (not necessarily by the luggage) that is climate controlled & pressurized. You need to have paperwork completed by your vet beforehand stating that your dog has had all their vaccinations & is fit to fly.

I have not seen any 24hr/week contracts. Most are 36-48hrs/week. You could work 24hr/week as a per diem or agency staff, but then you would most likely not get housing or travel reimbursement.
    Amanda, RN, BSN
    Ex-Traveler Extraordinaire,
    Resident Trauma Queen

Amanda has given a very accurate response. I just wanted to chime in here and commend you and wish you well in your educational endeavors.

Re: RN Student Has Questions/Gram Stain

Thank you both for your responses. I didn't realize that 24hr per diem assignments were even an option. I'll go that route if I can get it. And I'll work on getting the experience I need in the meantime.

I will need to re-locate upon graduation, no matter the pay. At first I thought I'd go back home to CA, where I'm from, but the housing is just too high. I'm having the worst sinus problems ever. My nose bleeds everyday. The doctors can't do anything for me. Humidifiers help just so much. I've got to get to Arizona is my thinking.

I hope I can make it there on a rookie's pay. I'll rent an efficiency if I have too.

Boy, I'm taking Microbiology of Infectious Diseases this semester. I have never studied so much in my life. My dogs think I don't love them anymore.

I feel better knowing you guys are here for me.

Does anyone remember how to tell the difference between whether a gram strain is negative or positive?

Talk to you later.

DebbieMarie

Amanda:

I misunderstood what you said about working for the agencies for 24 hours per week. I get it now. Sorry.

Deb