Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breaking a travel contract

Breaking a travel contract

A travel nurse I know is going to break her contract. She has been on the job for less than 2 weeks of a 13wk contract. She commutes to the job site and spends one or two nights a week away from home. She takes care of her own housing. There are no problems at the job site. She is going to break the contract because one of her children is having a tough time dealing with her mother being away. Besides having to pay back pre-employment costs, physicals, license fees, etc. What will she likely have to pay to the travel agency for breaking a contract?

Member Extraordinaire

Re: Breaking a travel contract

It all depends on the company- "she" should check her contract very closely to find out what she will be held financially responsible for. If she is not using company housing, she will probably only have to pay back license fees, pre-employment costs like physicals or drug screens, and possibly have to pay back any travel reimbursement.
    Amanda, RN, BSN
    Ex-Traveler Extraordinaire,
    Resident Trauma Queen

Quote Originally Posted by AmandaWIRN View Post
    It all depends on the company- "she" should check her contract very closely to find out what she will be held financially responsible for. If she is not using company housing, she will probably only have to pay back license fees, pre-employment costs like physicals or drug screens, and possibly have to pay back any travel reimbursement.
    I am interested in travel nursing, but I am concerned about what it would take to break a contract if I find I am miserable. Other posters have mentioned being threatened with lawsuits by their agencies. Besides the repayments mentioned above, are there costs that have to paid to the agency or hospital for breaking a contract? Do contracts usually address this?

Member Extraordinaire

Yes, your contract should have this all spelled out. In addition to the costs mentioned above, if you take company housing, you will be held responsible for paying out the remainder of the lease your company signed for you- which could be thousands of dollars. That's why it's best to ask as many questions as possible BEFORE signing on, as well as making sure you get EVERYTHING in writing in your contract before signing.
    Amanda, RN, BSN
    Resident Trauma Queen

If I do travel, I will certainly study any contract. I'm not quite sure myself, what I am trying to ask, but I will put it this way...I arrive at a contract site and I have not been reimbursed for anything. After 1 shift I decide traveling is not for me and I break the contract. Generally, are there any other fees I might have to pay for the breach of contract. Will I possibly be sued?

Member Extraordinaire

Quote Originally Posted by fancee View Post
    If I do travel, I will certainly study any contract. I'm not quite sure myself, what I am trying to ask, but I will put it this way...I arrive at a contract site and I have not been reimbursed for anything. After 1 shift I decide traveling is not for me and I break the contract. Generally, are there any other fees I might have to pay for the breach of contract. Will I possibly be sued?
    If your company has reimbursed you for your travel or license, you will have to re-pay them. If you have taken company housing, you will be responsible for paying out the lease they signed for you, as well as any utility install fees. They might also make you pay for any pre-employment drug screen or physical.

Cancelling a contract early can be very expensive- into the thousands of dollars.... I would advise you to do a LOT of research on the facility before you accept a contract there. Ask your recruiter if you can talk to another traveler who has worked at that facility, so you can find out first-hand what it's like. After that if you still don't like an assignment, your best bet is to just tough it out & finish out the contract. It's only 13 weeks. I'm not too happy at my current assignment, but I only have 7 more weeks to go, then I'm outta here!

Now, if you feel like your license is in danger, or if the facility is not holding up their end of the contract, then that's another story.
    Amanda, RN, BSN
    Resident Trauma Queen

I've wondered that also if you had to break a contract. I think it is unfair that the hospital and company can cancel your contract, but you can't cancel your own.

If I take a travel assignment, I expect that I will be able to stick it out.
    I appreciate your input. I don't mean to be a pest, but I guess I am still not making my self clear. I have searched the internet and have seen posts that spoke of thousands of dollars being owed and nurses being sued for breaking contracts. If I pay all expenses myself including travel and housing and absolutely nothing has been paid by the agency, will I likely have to pay "damages" for breaking the contract? Similar to how large companies that have agreed to merge and one backs out. I know a lot depends on the contract, but I won't see a contract until late in the process. So, I guess my question is do nurses usually have to pay "damages" for breaking a contract.

Member Extraordinaire

Again, it depends on your company and how your contract is written- check with your individual recruiter....

And Again, if you are not taking housing or travel reimbursement, you still might be held financially accountable for any pre-employment physical or drug screen, as well as license verification costs.
    Amanda, RN, BSN
    Resident Trauma Queen

Quote Originally Posted by fancee View Post
    I am interested in travel nursing, but I am concerned about what it would take to break a contract if I find I am miserable. Other posters have mentioned being threatened with lawsuits by their agencies. Besides the repayments mentioned above, are there costs that have to paid to the agency or hospital for breaking a contract? Do contracts usually address this?
    I would recomend taking a 4 or 6 week contract first to see if its for you if you are concerned about this. Anybody can put up with something they hate for a month.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast