Thread: RNC Exam

RNC Exam

Hello Everyone,
    This post is mainly for labor & delivery nurses. I would like to start studying for the RNC exam, I was wondering if anyone has any advice or info on preparing for this exam. Or any other info that would be helpful.

Thank You

Re: RNC Exam

First of all, congratulations on deciding to become certified in your field! It is a huge asset to your career development. You will not be sorry. I became certified in Inpatient Obstetrics in 1996 and it has enhanced my career.

Our facility offers preparatory classes for those studying to become certified. I remember I purchased a set of audio tapes and a work book, but I do not remember where I got them. I would try the AWHONN website. I will try and ask our staff develpment department guru and see where she gets the info she presents in class. I also know there are some sample tests available.

Which exam are you taking? There are a couple of different certifications for OB. Since you mentioned L&D I would imagine you will be taking the inpatient obstetrics exam which incorporates labor & delivery, postpartum, and newborn information. It contains fetal monitoring questions and complications of pregnancy questions, and questions about newborn health and some breastfeeding questions.

I'll see what I can come up with for you. In the mean time, obtain an up to date maternity text and read up on things you are unfamiliar with. You will do fine!

Angie

Re: RNC Exam

Hi there. Sorry I'm so late in responding but the National Certification Corporation that offers this exam and certification has excellent self study modules and tests available on their site. As mentioned previously, an OB educator should be able to give you more resources. AWHONN's Maternal Newborn Core Curriculum is also an excellent resource and should be a staple in any Maternal Newborn Nurse's library.
    NCC's website National Certification Corporation — Home

Best of luck