Thread: Do credits usually transfer from state to state?

Do credits usually transfer from state to state?

****o all. My name is Jesse. I am a boyfriend, soon to be fiance of a upcoming LPN graduate named Ashley. She is currently attending LPN school in Sioux Falls, SD and will be graduated next May. She's been extremely busy studying for LPN and working full time, so I'm helping out and doing some research.

I am currently in the Navy in Norfolk, VA. She plans on moving out there once she graduates and gets her LPN, and passes her boards. Her teachers right now are telling her that if she transfers to some of the other upstanding universities and/or community colleges in the Norfolk, Va beach area, that she would be set back a year and that not all of her credits would transfer.

I have a few friends who are RN's and they said that this is wrong and that once you have the paperwork and you're licensed as a LPN, it doesn't matter where you go, it takes a year to get your RN which is what I'm hoping for. Can anyone help shed some light? We're planning for the future, but are kind of stuck as of lately.

Any information you all could give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Very Respectfully,
    Jesse Schenemann, USN

Post Do Credits Transfer From State to State

I was an LPN who went on toward the RN degree. Your girlfriend graduating as an LPN. Courses do not transfer into RN. LPN programs are often vocational, taught in career centers or private specilized quick professions institutions. These simply do no equate to the higher level of college credit. The LPN programs at community/technical college also do not equate into the RN programs (if they did, one would be getting the RN credit, not the LPN credit). These programs are designated courses to fulfill the LPN requirements, and aren't honored toward RN degree credit. Anyone who tells you otherwise is mistaken. Anyone who believes this is in denial. There are specific courses that must be taken toward an RN degree, based on each states requirements, and there is no way around. The only option around this is the Regents College of the University of the State of New York. They will allow certain courses to be challenged (clepped) for credit into their degree programs. Realize that by being granted credit from them after clepping does not mean you can transfer these credits to a traditional college. They just don't give credit as the Regents College does. With the Regents, you are on your own, and it is important to have at least some strong medical background such as an LPN going for RN degree. Good luck to you girlfriend!