Thread: basic questions

basic questions

Hi there,
    My name is Leah and I will be graduated with a BSN 12/2009. I'm interested in joining the military as a means to international nursing. Bear with me, my familarity with the military is minimal. After exploring the websites, I'm still a bit unclear on the differences between the Army Nurse Corps and Navy Nurse Corps. I am interested in treating not only our soliders, but also the people inhabitating wherever I may be stationed. Am I correct in thinking that if I join up, I can expect up to 3 years of active duty before I can go into reserves? As a new grad with a BSN, what sort of training should I anticipate? Like hard core physical, shaved head stuff? On active duty, how often will I be able to see my family? My apologies for my limited knowledge! Fill me in!
    Thanks, leah

Re: basic questions

Quote Originally Posted by lmurph View Post
    Hi there,
    My name is Leah and I will be graduated with a BSN 12/2009. I'm interested in joining the military as a means to international nursing. Bear with me, my familarity with the military is minimal. After exploring the websites, I'm still a bit unclear on the differences between the Army Nurse Corps and Navy Nurse Corps. I am interested in treating not only our soliders, but also the people inhabitating wherever I may be stationed. Am I correct in thinking that if I join up, I can expect up to 3 years of active duty before I can go into reserves? As a new grad with a BSN, what sort of training should I anticipate? Like hard core physical, shaved head stuff? On active duty, how often will I be able to see my family? My apologies for my limited knowledge! Fill me in!
    Thanks, leah
    Please, see the sticky thread; Link to Army Nurse Corps Info, then post up specific questions you may have regards to the ANC. BTW, at the Officer Basic Leadership Course no one shaves there head.
    Cary James Barrett, RN, BSN

Quote Originally Posted by lmurph View Post
    Hi there,
    Thanks, leah
    I was a corpsman in the Navy for five years. Doc's and nurses went to a "spoon and knife" school prior to becoming commissioned, which taught basic military and naval knowlege (i.e. a bulkhead is a wall). Then depending on the unit they could also end up in a version of field medical school, which is a Marine mini-boot camp, and I assume is now being required training for most medical personel.
    Barry Manilow didn't write I Write The Songs. Bruce Johnston did.

Quote Originally Posted by OldSquidNewNurse View Post
    I was a corpsman in the Navy for five years. Doc's and nurses went to a "spoon and knife" school prior to becoming commissioned, which taught basic military and naval knowlege (i.e. a bulkhead is a wall). Then depending on the unit they could also end up in a version of field medical school, which is a Marine mini-boot camp, and I assume is now being required training for most medical personel.
    Must be a Navy thing cause I've never been to a "spoon & knife" school my entire time in the Army Nurse Corps? So, I've never heard of such scuttlebutt.
    Cary James Barrett, RN, BSN