Thread: ATM/Debit Card Theft Warning

Angry ATM/Debit Card Theft Warning

Just a reminder to be careful when using your debit/ATM cards. A news report just reported that a former employee at a Redondo Beach CA ARCO station has stolen more than $200,000 from unsuspecting people in just a few days. An unidentified former employee who used fake ID, he placed card skimmers at the pumps back in October. Nothing was done with the info obtained until after Mother's Day. Now, people are losing money daily. This has happened to my brother at a gas station and I had an ATM card stolen once.

You should be very careful when using card readers. Those skimmers went undetected from October until May.

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Re: ATM/Debit Card Theft Warning

And people wonder why I don't have an ATM card?!

Husband and I had a weird transaction on a credit card several years ago; someone bought gas in MEXICO! Only Mexico we were ever close to was in MO. Our cards were never lost, but they musta got lucky with the number.

Angry Re: ATM/Debit Card Theft Warning

The authorities say that there are now more than 1,000 known victims, including at least two police officers. I try to only use my cards at banks.

Re: ATM/Debit Card Theft Warning

This is scary. I worked at a bank for a little while before I went back to Healthcare (little detour)and we taught about security in our Training classes. The skimmers are hard to detect sometimes, but if it just a little bit standing out and not smooth with the pump, don't use your card there.

Unhappy Re: ATM/Debit Card Theft Warning

They were soliciting for other victims to file police reports and now they say that it appears that a ring of thieves is at work, not just the one ex-ARCO employee. I guess he needs help going from bank to bank or else he has lots of family and friends.