Thread: Please Help-Questions

Question Please Help-Questions

Long story short. Im a nurse in Pennsylvania. I had diverted Dilaudid 7-8x using the override function on the Pyxis Machine. I was confronted by my nurse manager and was honest about what i did. They told me it was necessary to report to the state but they did not think charges would be filed. I entered in the voluntary recovery program and am currently in intensive outpatient. I've been clean for 30 days now.

Today i recieved a call from the attorney generals office and they stated I was being charged with misdemeanor theft. Im thankful it's not a felony charge but this is really testing my recovery/sobriety. If anyone has answers/suggestions to the following questions, please post them for me.

1- Is it necessary to have a lawyer? I'm in financial crisis as is and adding lawyer fees is not what i need right now?

2- Does this affect my participation in VRP?

3- How does this affect trying to get a job in the future? My former employer said they'd allow me to interview when deemed OK by the state.

4- What kind of fines/court costs am i looking at?

Thank you in advance. I'll probably be spending the rest of the day in NA/AA to ensure I don't pick up because the urge is extremely strong right now. I knew I had a long road ahead of me, but it feels each gain I make is met with more bad news. Thanks again.

Re: Please Help-Questions

Please get in touch with your sponsor immediately. You should never face criminal proceeedings or have anything to do with the Board without having consulted a lawyer. Contact the local referral service or the local chapter of the Bar and ask for a "modest means" referral. They usually will give you a 30 minute free consultation and then low fee visits afterward ($25 or so). Other questions will be answered as time goes on. Maybe someone who has had a similar experience can offer their experiences. Good luck with your proceedings and with your sobriety.

Thanks for responding. I didnt pick up thank god. Just got back from a couple meetings and had myself a huge cheesesteak instead of drinking/drugging. I know cheesesteaks aren't the best option but they'll do for now. The anxiety level has lowered a bit and I'm feeling better. Hell, I did what I did and this is my pennance. The sentence "Other questions will be answered as time goes on" helps. I've learned alot about myself this past 30 days. I have to accept that keeping me clean is priority #1 and to let things fall as they may from there. Thanks again.

I am in the same situation as you right now. Maybe we can support each other. I did get a lawyer and I will keep you updated on what happens, we havent gone before the judge yet. e-mail me if you need to, but most importantly, stay clean.