Animals always charm the residents: Alpaca enchants nursing home residents

Senior citizens at the Sterling House nursing home enjoy two things more than anything — babies and animals.

They spent some time with the latter when a member of the Alpacas, Posies and Pines farm in South Vienna stopped by for a visit Thursday, June 11.

“Yes, babies and animals,” said nurse Jeanne McCabe. “When you bring them in it just makes their faces light up.”

Naruto, a 7-month-old blue-eyed alpaca with fleecy white hair, stopped for a visit at the home, where many residents had never before heard of the native-South American animal.

Debbie Stokes, owner of the Alpacas, Posies and Pines farm, brought the fledgling alpaca in the back seat of her blue Pontiac Vibe.

Naruto spent the afternoon milling around the backyard at the nursing home, where residents had the chance to pet and ask questions about him.

She said she brought Naruto because he weighs only 70 pounds — full-grown alpacas weigh between 160-170 pounds.

“You have to have at least two — and they’re considered livestock, so you can’t just keep them in your backyard,” Stokes explained. “If you only have one (alpaca), they’ll die of loneliness.”

She said Naruto will not be bred because they believe he will one day go deaf.

He will, however, take part in the county fair and is already part of a 4-H club project.

Life Enrichment Coordinator Cathy McCarty said special events at the nursing home, such as having guests or animals, is the highlight of the day for many of the residents.

“This gets them out of their room, gets them interacting, which is always a good thing,” McCarty said, adding that the residents will later have a discussion about alpacas.

“We try to bring some country life into the home.”

Despite the drizzly weather and overcast skies, Sterling House resident Melissa K. Zunis stood on the back lawn petting the alpaca.

“Well, they’re my favorite animal now,” Zunis said. “I’d never seen one before. I loved their eyes. They’re so big. They’re magical.”

Another resident, Victoria Tilton, was also enchanted by Naruto’s eyes.

“Beautiful eyes,” Tilton said. “He’s so different with that long neck.”

I can see why the residents got all excited.