Thread: Question

Question

Does HPRP (health professional recovery program) allow you to work?

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar

Wink Re: Question

If you go into a Diversion /recovery program the typical scenario is that you are off work for the first 6 mos to a year. During that time you will be requured to be in some kind of treatment, attend daily AA/NA meetings and subject yourself to random Urine test on demand. Most of these programs will not allow you to have any mind altering drugs others than antidepressants. no benzo's no sleeping pills, no alcohol no exceptions.

After the first 6 mos or so the program will decide that you are ready to go back to work. It will most likely be a non-patient care position you'll do that 6mos to a year then move to patient care, then get narcotic access back, etc....

The whole process takes about 3 to 5 years to complete - it can be very stressful at times but it is possible to get through it. It will go easier for you start treatment right away that way when you do get in front of the board they will see someone in active recovery. If you can't afford treatment at least start going to meetings as all diversion pograms require 90 meetings in 90 days so you can at leat get that under your belt.

Peace and Namaste

Hppy

Re: Question

IN regard's to work, is each situation different..what if I have already been in treatment myself,,I put "myself"..nothing in regards to work..,I put myself in treatment, last year..in inpt. rehab,then did the intense outpt, treatment program, and I now see , my psychiatrist/addictionologist, regularly, biweekly, and sometimes weekly if she changes a med..and she has been doing random drug tests..also intensive outpt, did them as well, I was always clean. Will this be considered..I am the only support for my family, my husband has lost his job,hasn't been able to find steady work, for 4 years,we r trying our best not to foreclose on our house.Thank you so much for responding,I need quick input,I have a grievance hearing with work, on monday.If anyone else has input I'd appreciate that as well, I need as much advice and guidance on this as possible. thank you.

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar

Re: Question

While it would be nice to believe that the boards looks at each individual case on it's own merits that's not usually the case. This is for several reasons. First the boards primary mandate is public safety. Since your circumstances showed a level of impairment at work they are likely to believe that the treatment you received was not effective and needs to be repeated. Secondly in the five years that I have been in the process and looking at how individual boards handle these things - They typically don't care about your financial situation. I have seen boards tell people to sell their homes, move into sober living, take out 2nd mortgages on their homes. They will not allow you to return to work until they are reasonably sure you are safe practice. I know my board suggested I look for a job in retail or pizza delivery before they approved me to go back to practice.

Another thing is that this disease we share has the charactaristic of making us feel different - that our circumstances are unique - remember the old Rodney Dangerfield line "If you had my wife you'd drink too." In the current economy your situation is not at all unique. 19 % of America is out of work. When my husband was laid off last year and couldn't find a job he went and stood in Day Labor lines. Mind you he is an executive used to making close to 6 figures< he has no formal education and we used to joke about the old truck and tools in driveway that he was keeping "In case I ever have to go back to work for a living" - If your husband has not been able to find work he might not be looking in the right place.

I suspect the board will place you in treatment again. Your only other option is to speak to a lawyer and talk about going on probation. Typically in this scenario - your license is revoked - then there is a hearing and a stay of revokation is ordered. Then you can go back to work under carefully monitored circumstances. There will be a permanant record on your license which is the big difference between diversion and probation.

While this info is not great I hope it helps you in the decisions you need to make right now.

Peace and Namaste

Hppy