Thread: Getting disability...

Smile Getting disability...

Hi,
    I have a question about disability. I see alot of nurses on here speaking of it, is it strictly for your addiction or other things combined? I have been out of work since March, due to diversion and I decided to turn myself in. My contract with the state started in May, but I will have six mos clean on Aug. 9th. I am thinking of looking for work, something that is not around narcs at all. We are behind on our mortgage, and our savings is almost gone. I also have three kids. I know I have to pay the consequences for my actions, and I accept that. Just don't want to go back to work too early either.
    Thanks,

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar

Wink Re: Getting disability...

Quote Originally Posted by Alk1227 View Post
    Hi,
    I have a question about disability. I see alot of nurses on here speaking of it, is it strictly for your addiction or other things combined? I have been out of work since March, due to diversion and I decided to turn myself in. My contract with the state started in May, but I will have six mos clean on Aug. 9th. I am thinking of looking for work, something that is not around narcs at all. We are behind on our mortgage, and our savings is almost gone. I also have three kids. I know I have to pay the consequences for my actions, and I accept that. Just don't want to go back to work too early either.
    Thanks,
    Laws very for from state to state so understand this is a generic answer. The best source of information for you is your state disability office. They are listed in the phone book under state offices or you can look them up on the web.

That being said - many nurses in recovery are able to collect disability for up to 52 weeks. You may even be able to get it retroactive to the last date you worked. In most cases you need a dual diagnosis to qualify.. ie Major depression, anxiety disorder etc..... Whatever you do do not tell them you are not permitted to work because of your addiction/treatment. Remember you are depressed. A psychiatrist will help you with the details and paperwork.
    Saying you are depressed in your situation is not a lie - If you weren't depressed I'd be worried about you. Remember you pay into state disability and it's your money.

It comes out to about 2/3 of what your regular weekly salary was - not a lot but it does help to take the financial pressure off.

Hope this helps

Peace and Namaste

Hppy

HPPY

Re: Getting disability...

I did a google search for state disability, and found the info below on CA's site, which reflects that there are only a handful of states that offer disability to residents.

All other states don't pay benefits, they refer people to the Federal government program for SSDI of which most nurses are not qualified to get based on addiction alone... and even with another diagnosis such as depression it is difficult to get and one needs to be out of work for at least one yr to even be eligible.

DB101 California - California State Disability Insurance: Frequently Asked Questions

"There are only five states that provide state disability programs, California, Hawaii, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, and the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico. Each state or Commonwealth governs how its program is structured. "

Wink Re: Getting disability...

[QUOTE=whome3;85866]I did a google search for state disability, and found the info below on CA's site, which reflects that there are only a handful of states that offer disability to residents.

All other states don't pay benefits, they refer people to the Federal government program for SSDI of which most nurses are not qualified to get based on addiction alone... and even with another diagnosis such as depression it is difficult to get and one needs to be out of work for at least one yr to even be eligible.

DB101 California - California State Disability Insurance: Frequently Asked Questions

You are right about that - And it is very hard to get SSDI for addiction issues as you have to be able to prove that your disability would exist independent of your addiction. But you don't have to wait a year to apply you just have to be able to prove your disability is expected to last a year or more. So in order to collect for a mental health issue you have to show that that diagnosis existed prior to you're addiction. In the psych hospital where I worked - we would get addicts qualified if they had something like PTSD, or depression and could show that the addiction was a form of Self-medication. It's very slippery slope.

As many as 60% of all SSDI claims are denied on the first application.
    So be prepared to appeal.

"Q: HOW SOON CAN I APPLY FOR SOCIAL SECURITY DISABILITY BENEFITS?
    You can file for your benefits as soon as you become disabled. You must prove your disability will last at least 12 months. However you do not need to wait until you have been disabled for 12 months before you apply. If you suffer serious illness or injury and expect to be out of work for a year or more you should not delay in filing a claim for Social Security Disability Insurance benefits. "

Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) FAQs | Frequently Asked Questions about SSDI

Google is great! Thanks for helping me to stay humble

Peace and Namaste

Hppy

Re: Getting disability...

AS always I try to qualify my comments based on my own experience and refer people to their own states laws to get answers specific to their personal situation.

Peace out

Hppy