Thread: Nursing school requirements?

Nursing school requirements?

Well Im about to apply to nursing school, I just need three more classes to take (sociology, kine, and speech)
    My concern is about the grades I got on my A&Ps, I got Cs on both. My current grades in the other prerequisites are PSYCH B, English C. Will my school still accept me into the program or they are going to hold me back until I raise my GPA (2.6 now I think). Should I retake my A&Ps?
    It just seems that I cant cope with school and work at the same time...

Erick

Re: Nursing school requirements?

Anyone? How long was the waiting period to get into nursing school?
    I've been told that my school has a 3 year waiting list :eek:

The school I attend (East Tennesseee State University) has no waiting list. The selection is based solely on current G.P.A. and the one's who have the better GPA are the ones who get in. So they start at 4.0 and go down the applicant list. The semester I was accepted, the cut-off for acceptance was 3.38 however I know last semester the cut-off was 2.95. It all depends on the GPA of those applying in the same period as you. It worked for me. However, I know several people who I know would make great nurses who have applied and applied without luck. It seems there would be an interview process or something to balance out the process.

IMHO, I would consider retaking the A&P classes for a better grade. Grade forgiveness will raise your GPA if you make a better grade. However, be careful. I know where I go, the repeat grade replaces the original grade, even if lower. Also, the less credits you have, the faster retakes will raise the GPA. Once you have accumulated a good amount of credits, retaking a course and even making an A vs a C will not do much for boosting your GPA. My advice, calculate what the different grade will bring your GPA up to and see if the effort will be time and money well spent.

Good luck to you

ETNGuy

Quote Originally Posted by EMS
    Well Im about to apply to nursing school, I just need three more classes to take (sociology, kine, and speech)
    My concern is about the grades I got on my A&Ps, I got Cs on both. My current grades in the other prerequisites are PSYCH B, English C. Will my school still accept me into the program or they are going to hold me back until I raise my GPA (2.6 now I think). Should I retake my A&Ps?
    It just seems that I cant cope with school and work at the same time...

Erick
    You need to check with the school(s) where you are planning to apply. Some are points based, and if so, the higher your grades are, the more likely it is that you will get in, while others accept an average grade in the pre-req sciences, and you may or may not have to retake a class or two to get your average up (depending upon what their minimum standard is). If the school literature says you need to have a certain GPA to qualify, then believe it. To protect themselves legally, they need to follow their stated guidelines.

Well I have talked to my advisor in school about the GPA requierments but he only goes by the book. On our school catalog it says that a minimum grade of C is requiered, but they give priority to the students with better GPA which I think is the right thing to do, I think 3 years is just too much. Oh BTW our school only takes 40 students a year.

I work 48 hours a week, and all this is making me think twice about choosing this career.

Erick.

Before I retook any classes, I'd check and see what the waiting lists were like. If you're not going to be able to get into a program till 2008 or 2009, then it's probably not worth taking the course. Most people won't wait around that long.

Nationally, the nursing faculty shortage is limiting the number of students schools can accept. That in turn is making competition fierce among students.

Find out the waiting period, find out their admission criteria, talk to students that have gotten in. Look for other schools/programs in your area.

A nurse is a nurse whether they start as an LPN, RN, ADN, ASN, BSN, etc. So whichever way you can get your "foot" in the door, go for it.

Be aware that LPNs are considered "second class" citizens in the nursing world, and I'd strongly suggest going back for an RN ASAP if you go the LPN route.

Hope that helps.

Andrew Lopez, RN
    http://www.4nursingstudents.com

Yep, all this is getting me confused in the way that dont know which path to choose, if to wait, or just change my major......either way I know education is the key to success so something has to come up....

It can be a difficult decision. You'll want to make sure that Nursing, or any other major is really what you want.

Examine your reasons for going into the field, talk to as many nurses as you can. This is an article I wrote a while back about the profession and my recommendations towards it:

"Nurses are Licensed Professionals who's practice is regulated by Nurse Practice Acts, and the State Board of Nursing of each State.

Nursing is a profession of caring. The actual practice of Nursing is about something entirely different.

Nursing is no longer an attractive profession for young women (historically the largest segment of the population entering Nursing) to go into. It is having difficulty competing with corporate and other service industries that offer better working conditions, higher pay, no weekends/holidays, more prestige and much less stress."
    http://www.nursefriendly.com/nursing...pez.andrew.htm

Hope that helps you with your decisions.

Andrew Lopez, RN
    http://www.nursinga2z.com