Thread: Nursing a recession-proof job?

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Nursing a recession-proof job?

First hand how it's affecting new grads: Is nursing still a recession-proof field?

For the past four years, I was told by my professors, clinical instructors, mentors, peers, family and friends that I would have no trouble finding a job.

The phrase spoken by many, “Nursing is a recession-proof field,” rings in my head as I remain unemployed. Five years ago, when I was a senior in high school, one of the recruitment spiels at nursing schools was that it would be OK to pay a lot for school because of the opportunities for nurses, such as debt repayment, signing bonuses, relocation and education reimbursement. It sounded so promising.

I remember when I was a freshman, the senior nursing students would complain about having to choose between five different offers, each one more enticing than the next. One student in particular struggled with the decision of staying in Cleveland and accepting a hefty bonus, or moving to North Carolina and receiving relocation expenses, an even larger bonus and 100 percent tuition assistance at one of the most prestigious graduate nursing schools. Tough choices indeed.

When I graduated in May, my nursing class seemed to be on par with the national average of new graduate employment — and the outlook was not good.

New graduate nurses are at the bottom of the totem pole when competing with nurses who have experience, including those who had previously left the profession and made the decision to go back to work.

Many hospitals have issued hiring freezes, and I recently spoke to a nurse who believes his hospital will start losing employees because everyone is burned out from working overtime and taking on large patient loads due to understaffing.

A nurse must always have the best interest the patient in mind, even if that means staying to work a 16-hour shift. Yet, in the long run, longer hours will lead to decreased patient safety and employee dissatisfaction. My wish for the nursing profession, and for those who so desperately need good nursing care, is that help is on its way — soon.

My search continues for employment in Chicago, where my fiancé is attending law school at Northwestern. Now, it’s even harder for me to hear the words from my neighbors and friends, “Oh, you’ll easily find a job in Chicago. Nursing is recession-proof. You were the outstanding student at Case Western. How could they not want you?” How do I reply?

Should I tell them that Chicagoans have never heard of Case Western — or Ohio for that matter? How do I explain driving to Chicago at my own expense, three-hour interviews that include several different people, job shadowing on the floor, three sealed letters of recommendation and transcripts, all the while knowing that many others are vying for ONE job to work the night shift?
    I am very grateful to those who have tried and tried again to help me find a job.

Although I am now licensed in Illinois, I question at what point I should apply for licensure in Ohio and look for jobs in Dayton until I am married next August.

It will be a tough decision because I want to make more than a nine-month commitment to a hospital. Looking back, I question why I didn’t stay in Cleveland where my dream job was practically handed to me or why I didn’t apply to work at Miami Valley Hospital where I had such a wonderful experience as a student.

But, I will always be one to think with my heart ... and the other half of my heart is in Chicago.

Good luck to all of the other recent graduates out there who are struggling to find employment. Let’s keep our chins up and remember it is not a matter of if, it’s a matter of when.

Wink Re: Nursing a recession-proof job?

Quote Originally Posted by cougarnurse View Post
    First hand how it's affecting new grads: Is nursing still a recession-proof field?

For the past four years, I was told by my professors, clinical instructors, mentors, peers, family and friends that I would have no trouble finding a job.

The phrase spoken by many, “Nursing is a recession-proof field,” rings in my head as I remain unemployed. Five years ago, when I was a senior in high school, one of the recruitment spiels at nursing schools was that it would be OK to pay a lot for school because of the opportunities for nurses, such as debt repayment, signing bonuses, relocation and education reimbursement. It sounded so promising.

I remember when I was a freshman, the senior nursing students would complain about having to choose between five different offers, each one more enticing than the next. One student in particular struggled with the decision of staying in Cleveland and accepting a hefty bonus, or moving to North Carolina and receiving relocation expenses, an even larger bonus and 100 percent tuition assistance at one of the most prestigious graduate nursing schools. Tough choices indeed.

When I graduated in May, my nursing class seemed to be on par with the national average of new graduate employment — and the outlook was not good.

New graduate nurses are at the bottom of the totem pole when competing with nurses who have experience, including those who had previously left the profession and made the decision to go back to work.

Many hospitals have issued hiring freezes, and I recently spoke to a nurse who believes his hospital will start losing employees because everyone is burned out from working overtime and taking on large patient loads due to understaffing.

A nurse must always have the best interest the patient in mind, even if that means staying to work a 16-hour shift. Yet, in the long run, longer hours will lead to decreased patient safety and employee dissatisfaction. My wish for the nursing profession, and for those who so desperately need good nursing care, is that help is on its way — soon.

My search continues for employment in Chicago, where my fiancé is attending law school at Northwestern. Now, it’s even harder for me to hear the words from my neighbors and friends, “Oh, you’ll easily find a job in Chicago. Nursing is recession-proof. You were the outstanding student at Case Western. How could they not want you?” How do I reply?

Should I tell them that Chicagoans have never heard of Case Western — or Ohio for that matter? How do I explain driving to Chicago at my own expense, three-hour interviews that include several different people, job shadowing on the floor, three sealed letters of recommendation and transcripts, all the while knowing that many others are vying for ONE job to work the night shift?
    I am very grateful to those who have tried and tried again to help me find a job.

Although I am now licensed in Illinois, I question at what point I should apply for licensure in Ohio and look for jobs in Dayton until I am married next August.

It will be a tough decision because I want to make more than a nine-month commitment to a hospital. Looking back, I question why I didn’t stay in Cleveland where my dream job was practically handed to me or why I didn’t apply to work at Miami Valley Hospital where I had such a wonderful experience as a student.

But, I will always be one to think with my heart ... and the other half of my heart is in Chicago.

Good luck to all of the other recent graduates out there who are struggling to find employment. Let’s keep our chins up and remember it is not a matter of if, it’s a matter of when.

The best of luck to you Cougar Nurse, I know there's a job awaiting a great nurse like you. I understand what you are experiencing. I have always known where I wanted a job, applied and received offer. I have never experienced the "new modality of interviewing" till now. Wow, what a change. But if anyone can do it you will.

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Re: Nursing a recession-proof job?

Thanks Gypsy! This story is actually told from a recent grad's own experience. I tend to share her outlook. Nursing has had it' ups and downs, I can tell ya for a fact.

Red face Re: Nursing a recession-proof job?

Thanks Cougar Nurse for clarifying that post. It was very informative and I appreciate you sharing.