Thread: What's the most embarrasing thing that's happened

What\'s the most embarrasing thing that\'s happened

to you during your nursing career?

Re: What\'s the most embarrasing thing that\'s happened

I was a new graduate working on an orthopedic floor. Things were hectic and I was very overstimulated with everything so new. I went into Mr. X's room on my rounds. He had about 7 family members sitting around his bed. He was asking for something but I couldn't understand him. I asked his family what he wanted and they said he wanted the bedpan. I excused myself and called a male attendent to help me. As he and I lifted my patient to place the bedpan under, I saw that Mr. X had a colostomy! He didn't want the bedpan and I was soooo embarassed!

Ok ultimate nures you should get a laugh out of this one. About 12 years ago I was the unit co-ordinator in a speciality hospital PACU, We did primarily EEN&T surgery, and some plastic repairs for cosmetic reasons or as a result of trauma. Most of the surgical sites were easily visible, above the shoulders usually. We had a young male patient in his early 20's that was very al;ert and oriented. I'd gone to the desk to call report to the nursing unit, This young guy and undergone a skin grafting procedure. I don't recall where the site that was grafted was but I will always recall the donor site, the dorsal aspect of the left upper thigh. . I'd forgotten to look at the donor site and needed to know what it looked like to tell the unit nurse. I asked one of my co-workers to give it a look see and tell me what it looked like. She walked over to the stretcher, lifted the sheet at thigh level and loudly declared from where she was standing " Looks like about 7 inches to me" Thank God this was the only patient in the unit at the moment. As soon as the words were out of her mouth she realized her discription could have described something other than the donor site. I don't know who of the three of us blushed the most. I was greatly relieved when the patient broke out in a full fledged belly laugh, when he got over the initial shock. See I have always had a problem with things like that UN. Why do you think it am so cautious when I post in public? LOL

That is freaking hilarious!

7 inches?! Mortified I'm sure, but I have one too....One of my co-workers was assisting a patient with her bath and handed her a soapy washcloth with the instructions to wash under her breasts. When my friend pulled down the blanket so the patient could do as requested she discovered the reason for the look she got.......Mrs. X had had a total mastectomy several years before. Read your charts ladies and gentlemen.

Member Extraordinaire

When I was in school still I worked as a studen on an ortho/neuro floor. This was my 1st or 2nd semester so I was working as a NA. Anyway I got to work early and it got to be close to shift change and all the nurses were running around like crazy and weren't going to have time for report anytime soon so I went to start vitals a little early to get ahead. I knew what my assignment would be got to the 2nd or 3rd room (in a hurry now) knocked and opened the door. Glanced at the pt in the bed thought gosh she doesn't look good but the visitor (daughter) in the chair by foot of the bed started talking to me...hi how are you? me fine how are you today her "fine" on and on...now I'm in a hurry so after a couple of minutes I say well I need to get her vital signs....the daughter says, "well honey she's dead" I could choke right there but then ask well does anybody know..yes they were just waiting for the rest of the family to come before calling the funeral home..After the I'm so sorries I walk out of the room with my stuff and the nurse manager is coming around the corner and says, "did you get her temp?" and just smiles. No if I'm at the desk any early and answer a light or anything and haven't gotten report I try to ask is there anything special I should know about this person?

That is a pretty good one. I'm sure that you are not the only one that's happened to. Thanks for sharing Cass. I hope things are going well with you.

Member Extraordinaire

Thanks for sharing Cass. I hope things are going well with you

Things are ok.. I go back to work tomorrow after having been off for vacation since 4/17...I left work early on that Wednesday and went to ER with bad pain and was having a gallbladder attack...I said by gosh I'm going on vacation I don't care..so it was ok after pain med and went on vacation..now back to work.

Just to set this up. My pt died, I put a sign out side the door with a dove on it (tells staff pt died). Phlabotomist, who was just off orientation went into the room to draw blood. In the middle of attempting to draw blood she realize the situation. Left the needle in the arm, started screaming and crying at the top of her lungs. Fell down in the hall, in front of the grieving family. She got up and ran down the hall screaming, "she's dead, she's dead". Arms waving in the air, tears streaming down her face, then passed out at the entrance to the unit. Explaining to the family was - embarrassing. Trying to revive the phlabotomist on the unit floor and calm her down was - trying. Watching this person scream and yell, falling all over the place - Priceless!!!!!