Thread: obtaining a job after a felony

obtaining a job after a felony

I was convicted of two felonies resulting from a singular act in 2002 that was adjudicated in 2005. I was working as a registered nurse in the emergency department at the time and reported the convictions to my state BON and was subsequently suspended. In september of 2008 I was granted a temp license to complete a nursing refresher course which I then passed with flying colors in May of 2009. I was offered a job by the clinical site nurse manager but that offer was rescinded by the human resources department of that hospital due to a blanket policy of not hiring anyone with a felony conviction. I have been researching this subject endlessly and have been unable to find any relief. I apply for jobs I'm qualified for daily and never receive much more than a form letter thanking me for my interest but they are pursuing other candidates. I have not worked in the field of nursing since 2005 when I voluntarily left my position due to my convictions of attempted larceny and malicious destruction of property. Can anyone offer me some advice as to what I might do to secure employment?

Re: obtaining a job after a felony

It's not going to be easy but you have to keep on looking and trying. Hopefully, some place will hire you.
    Good Luck

Hi,

Well, if you explain to whoever interviews you the circumstances, or better yet, call around and talk to people in HR, if you feel strong enough in your position and come off as confident and professional perhaps you can feel your way there before securing an interview, having it going well, then only to have you hopes crashed because HR says no. On the other hand, you get past HR and know that particular facilitys rules and regs, perhaps they say lets get you in here, then all you have to do is shine in your interview and not worry about the "fine print".

Just really sell yourself to them, build your confidence up to yourself! write down your proficiencies, write down some memories of those days you really excelled as a nurse, remember and how you really made a difference in life and death! That's great to have been involved in helping people like I'm sure you must have. Pretty soon you'll be ready to walk into a interview and be your best advocate. It works, I've been there.. a little different, but I made poor judgements that followed me.

Best of luck to you.
    sunnie

kelkam, Each state has a means of removing the felony conviction.Either expongement or setting aside of the conviction.This is intended to "release you from the civil disabilities" which translates into "policy not to hire felons"

I would like to know what state your from?? as Arizona will not give me a license due to a DUI felony- and I guess I need to move if I have any hopes of returning to work.

Where you convicted of 2-felonies or just one??? Some states, not sure which have no means of removal, but just a few.If your in a compact state you can also use that to your advantage too, sometimes they only do statewide background checks.

As if the punishments for felonies aren't severe enough, they want to also take away your ability to earn an honest living. Only in America land of the Free!!