Thread: Soon To Be RN,BSN seeking answers

Soon To Be RN,BSN seeking answers

Hello,
    I will be graduating from nursing school this December (12/03) with my RN,BSN degree. Upon graduating, I will have two years of experience working as a Nurse Extern on an Orthopedic/Neuro unit. I am extremely interested in Travel Nursing, yet don't know where to start. With the current nursing shortage, is one year of experience still a requirement to be a Travel Nurse? Does a Nurse Externship count as experience? May I apply for a Travel Nurse position while finishing my final semester of nursing school? Do Travel Nursing agencies honor the preliminary working permit after an individual takes the boards? (Some hospitals enable individuals to work as RNs after taking their boards while awaiting the results). I GREATLY appreciate any information provided. Thanks.

Re: Soon To Be RN,BSN seeking answers

well, I'm not a travel nurse, obviously, but I can probably shed some light on this.

Most companies will still want at lest a year of experience. You might find one that will feel comfortable with you having only six months, but it's probably a long shot.

It sounds like you have a good background to get into travel nursing. I wouldn't recommend doing it though, until you feel completely comfortable on the floor. There are a lot of little things that you may want to get down first.

Not that you could not do it, but remember, you will be the new person there, and sometimes there is a great deal of resentment towards travelers. Having experience with the unexpected things that arise will cut down on that flack that you might draw.

I hope that makes sense, but hey, what do I know...I've never done it

Did you ever decide to travel?

Anonymous

Unlike Aaron I am a travel nurse... (Hey Aaron where is the raspberry icon..LMAO),,,, I have been a nurse for 24 years the last 7 in hemodialysis. When I went to Cali I was in charge having never been in charge..Luckily, there were three other charge nurses in the unit. They helped me alot.. One of them was another traveler. But she had been there for awhile..

As a travel nurse you get VERY LITTLE orientation.. The hospitals, clinics or whatever don't want to pay for "unproductive" time. They want you on staff ASAP and working.
    So even if a travel company would take me without a year of experience I wouldn't go...

A year will fly by and you will be glad you did it..

WR,,, three commas for Becca

Mere kat motto:

Respect the Elders, Teach the Young, Cooperate with Family, Play when you can, Work when you should, Rest in between, Share your Affection, Voice your Feelings, Leave your Mark.