Thread: Critical Care Nursing...

Critical Care Nursing...

Hi need help...finding out information about what education requirements are needed for becoming a critical nurse....I mean post graduation....if anyone can share personal knowledge or websites or search engines...would be greatly appreciated....thank you ....
    stacy

Re: Critical Care Nursing...

Hi there, and welcome to our forum.

I am not only the founder of the NurseServer Network, www.nurseserver.com , but I also work in an ICU.

For the most part, you will not need any formal education, per se, but will most likely have to take a critical care course which should be offered by the hospital or unit where you decide to work. Then you will most likely be required to work through an internship. Some units require a certain amount of med-surg or related experience.

After you have spent some time as a critical care nurse, you may want to advance your career and sit for the CCRN certification exam... but that is down the road a bit for you right now.

Check out: http://www.critical-care-nurse.org/ or you can find books on critical care nursing by going to the NurseServer home page, www.nurseserver.com , and clicking on the NurseServer/Amazon Shops link in the left hand table.

Feel free to contact me by private message, or come back and post here at the forum.

Good luck,
    TracyR

Re: Critical Care Nursing...

Hi TracyR
    thanks very much for the info...have been an LPN for almost 12yrs med/surg, pedi, er and some ICU and thru the latter experience found I really wanted that. Am finishing up my ADN thru Excelsior college in Ny by november and my christmas present to myself is to take the board for christmas....
    I thank you for your web sites and info and hope I can keep in contact with you ..thanks again...
    stacy