Horror Stories From Hospital Operating Rooms (and funny ones, too)!
The OR environment is one of the strangest places in any hospital environment. All social norms seem to be thrown out the window and survival of the fittest is the law. Individual behavior is outrageous. Here’s an opportunity to share YOUR stories with others.

I have started to gather stories from OR nurses about their experiences. I myself am an OR nurse, and want to share my stories. I feel that the people outside of and even those who work in the hospital may not have a true picture of life as an OR nurse. Originally I did not set out to write a book about the joys of OR nursing, however I was fed up with the verbal and mental conduct of fellow co workers in the OR and decided that I would write a tell-all book. But who wants to hear a bunch of complaints? Instead I am writing about any incidents, good and bad. I don't plan to sugar coat stories or change them, just tell the truth.
My goal is to promote awareness of the OR, to put the stories out there about the tough situations and hardships we encounter. Perhaps people will realize that the OR culture is not a natural one. Surgeons are like kings, nurses are meager serfs, and anesthetists are clergy; using drugs instead of homilies to put people to sleep. If we don't try to affect some change in our own profession, who will? The daily situations that are encountered in the OR are humorous, entertaining, and real. Please send me your stories.

I am looking for stories that may be funny, inspiring, strange, or unbelievable. I want to alter them as little as possible and keep them yours. Why you love your job? What makes it all worthwhile? What situations about personal interactions in the OR between doctors, nurses, and patients have you seen? Things that made you frustrated, laugh, or just cry. Please include background details about people and places that would help us to understand the stories and personalities of your OR.

I ask that you don't include real names of people, but use nicknames like Nurse Alice and Dr.Small instead. Next to the story I will have your information as follows: Alice RN in Beverton, Oregon, OR nurse of 25 years,... so please also include this information. I will be accepting stories until December 31, 2006 through the email address: "or_stories@yahoo.com". I will email you with the book title and release date when they become available. Please feel free to send this email to whomever you like or even post this in the OR nurses lounge. The more stories the better... go ahead, vent!